DPAIM 11.0.0

NPM 12.1

VIM 7.1.0

NetPath 1.1.0

QoE 2.3

CloudMonitoring 1.0.0

SAM 6.4.0

NTA 4.2.2

on Windows Server 2008 R2 with SQL 2012 on separate server. We plan to replace the physical 2008 server with a new physical 2012 server. What is best practice to migrate and keep database in place? In a lab environment I'm thinking build new server with 2012 and install same versions of SolarWinds components and migrate according to this document and then upgrade components to latest version that will work with server 2012 and SQL2012. Can I skip a step and install latest versions that will work according to the list here

without going through the upgrade process?

Ashley

0 Kudos
1 Solution

wahorn​ have you looked at the product upgrade advisor in your customer portal? this should tell you the upgrade path that you should use.

Also, take a look at this article written by aLTeReGo

How to Migrate Orion to a New Server With Zero Downtime

This article may help you as well.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

You will need to go to 2016 to get support and updates. The guide mentioned before by aLTeReGo​ was awesome and made the upgrade very easy for me.

Level 12

Hey wahorn, bad news.... You are shooting too low on your upgrade versions. You need to go straight to Windows 2016 and SQL 16 or 17. If you ever plan on upgrading, you are gonna need the newer version as SolarWinds has stopped supporting even Windows 2012. Bite the bullet, make the leap, future you will thank me. Install fresh for each new box, then migrate your DB over to the new box.

Good luck!

I need to keep SQL 2012 for now due to other systems in our environment. Maybe next year.

0 Kudos

wahorn  wrote:

I need to keep SQL 2012 for now due to other systems in our environment. Maybe next year.

Brian's right - you will need to go to the NPM 12.3 rather than the latest NPM 12.4 if 2012 is a requirement for you.

0 Kudos

hat's what I have done. Here are my current versions. Orion Platform 2018.2 HF6, NPM 12.3, DPAIM 11.1.0, NTA 4.2.3, SAM 6.7.0, NetPath 1.1.3 All are supported according to Success Center

wahorn​ have you looked at the product upgrade advisor in your customer portal? this should tell you the upgrade path that you should use.

Also, take a look at this article written by aLTeReGo

How to Migrate Orion to a New Server With Zero Downtime

This article may help you as well.

View solution in original post

Thanks for the info. Wish I had this before I completed this project. I was able to do a clean install of same versions on Windows 2012 keeping SQL 2012 in place. I then upgraded SolarWinds to the appropriate versions. I need to keep SQL 2012 in place in our environment for now due to other system requirements.

0 Kudos