cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Meraki MR34's And NPM

Jump to solution

Has anyone successfully added Cisco/Meraki MR34 access points to Solarwinds NPM and had them correctly recognized as a wireless access point?  I've tried adding them and they come up as an unknown device.

Thanks,

Al

Labels (2)
1 Solution
Level 9
13 Replies
Level 10

Latest update for everyone..

Okay, so as promised I am providing an update on the Meraki wireless access points.

After going round a few times I was finally able to work with someone at Solarwinds who was able to actually help me go through and pull out specifically what the meraki's are providing information wise through snmp.  We couldn't find client information at all listed coming from either the wireless aps or the cloud controller. No counts, names or transmitted data from clients or anything client related. Everything was at the AP level and higher.

So with this new proof I called Meraki support and gave the tech a copy of the walks and after some time he came back on the line and said yes that is correct. We do not provide (and can't provide) anything more than basically up/down status info.    For more info you 'HAVE' to use their cloud site. (Lame I know)

So Meraki, you have lost a customer.  We will be dumping our meraki aps and going to someone that actually lets you monitor your purchased and paid for devices "WHERE YOU WANT!!!"

We have a similar appearance, with the MX series we are unable to see CPU usage either on meraki's interface or via SNMP. Very frustrating.

0 Kudos
Level 9

No I have not been able to successfully show the number of active clients.  Ours show "0" as well.

The problem with this (now this is according to Meraki support) is that Solarwinds is not requesting the information.  Supposedly Meraki provides all of the same info as what you can see in their cloud controller but solarwinds doesn't ask for that info.  I've opened a case with Solarwinds support and I'm still waiting to hear back.  If I don't get response by tomorrow I'll have to elevate the case and see if they can answer this once and for all on why they can't get at the very least the clients connecting to the ap's.

0 Kudos

If you get a response from Solarwinds, please do share! I am interested also.

0 Kudos

I would also like any info that you get in regards to this. I was able to add the AP's and the cloud controller but they don't know about each other for some reason. All the AP's show as autonomous. Do you have to install the MIB from Meraki for this stuff to show up?

Level 9

I had a similar situation, and I eventually figured it out.  Here's a guide I wrote up: SNMP Polling Meraki Devices (NPM 11.0.1) - How To

Hopefully this helps.

naters‌, were you able to successfully get your Meraki to show the number of active clients?  Ours show "0" for active clients and current channel.

No, all we needed was an IP, Hostname, and up/down status.  Maybe check MIBs and OIDs?

0 Kudos

Okay, so as promised I am providing an update on the Meraki wireless access points.

After going round a few times I was finally able to work with someone at Solarwinds who was able to actually help me go through and pull out specifically what the meraki's are providing information wise through snmp.  We could find not client information at all listed coming from either the wireless aps or the cloud controller. No counts, names or transmitted data from clients or anything client related. Everything was at the AP level and higher.

So with this new proof I called Meraki support and gave the tech a copy of the walks and after some time he came back on the line and said yes that is correct. We do not provide (and can't provide) anything more than basically up/down status info.    For more info you 'HAVE' to use their cloud site. (Lame I know)

So Meraki, you have lost a customer.  We will be dumping our meraki aps and going to someone that actually lets you monitor your purchased and paid for devices "WHERE YOU WANT!!!"

I got it to work.  That PDF is mostly correct, but you need to get your SNMP settings from Organization>Settings in the Meraki Dashboard.  Toward the bottom there is a section that says SNMP.  Enable V2C and it will tell you the host to poll, along with Communicty String, etc.  From there, follow the directions in the PDF and you should be able to get it going.

Thanks I got it working as well, but had to have Meraki update my firmware to allow SNMP.