This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Memory and CPU thresholds using custom properties

It seems like every time I turn around, my systems guy or a customer wants to change the alert threshold for CPU or memory.  For instance, some devices need to send an alert when CPU usage is at 90%, others at 95% and still others no one cares unless it's up to 99%. Rather than continuing to write a ton of alerts, I would like to use a custom property to set the threshold value.  However, I am not able to work out how I can use those CP thresholds to set my alert triggers.

For example, I have a custom node property called CPUAlarm thats an integer value.    If I set CPUAlarm to 90 on a particular device, how can I write a general alert with the condition that compares the current CPU usage value to the CPUAlarm value in my custom property?  

Hopefully the answer is very simple and I'm just not coming up with it for some reason today.  It is Monday, after all. :)

TIA

klc2009

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

within an advanced alert trigger, add a complex trigger condition..

where field CPU-utilisation is greater than field <CPUAlarm>

where CPU alarm is your custom property.  this trigger allows you to reference the number within the custom property...

you can do this for volume utilisation, CPU, anythying...

• Thank you, I knew the answer would be something simple.

• PS: we did the same thing for volume utilizations. It is a good idea to create the alarm with two condition groups, one with "cpu-util is empty AND field CPU (the actual utilization) > XX" and another condition group with "cpu-util is not empty" and the statement the_toilet stated above... that way you have a standard alarm threshold for the devices where you have not set this custom property. you avoid not alarming on a few devices that way and only need to touch those devices where you need a custom threshold.