This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Mapping making - Parent Daughter status. How deep can you go?

I seem to remember with the old map maker that parent-daughter status was only carried through 3 map layers. With the new atlas, how deep can you actually go before losing status from your deeper daughter maps in your parent map?

• Prevailing wisdom was that you didn't want to go any deeper than 3 or 4 levels deep.  I don't know if that's because the map files were being parsed from the file system only when they were needed or if it was truly that complicated to get a bubble-up status on the nodes.  Since 9.5 the map data is in the database, so I'm more comfortable with 4-5 layers provided you're not having any resource issues. Of course, I haven't seen enough customers on 9.5 yet with deep map structures to give you a good benchmark.

• You may go as deep as you want, but the performance may be lower. 4-5 layers sounds reasonable.