cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Map discovery in Solarwinds

In my environment i have around 6 to 8 divisions in which each division has 1000+ Network devices for monitoring. My request or my concern is that, whether solarwinds can automate the map based on the devices which are added in the group.

Its very impossible to create a map for 2500+ locations indivaidually . Need your support if we can perform automatic discovery in maps

I can see in Manage world map there is option called geolocation which will automatically group the devices in the world map , but in my case i have tried that option which is not working.Do we require internet access to the server which is installed in the orion platform ?

Add your comments please

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
MVP
MVP

Are your maps showing things in ways that you can't otherwise show?  Or that need to be shown as maps?  I ask because you can do a lot with groups.  I had map upkeep headaches but had the benefit of such discipline in the environment with naming conventions that grouping flowed really well.  I created summary pages of groups and didn't do any more maps (and therefor never had more orphaned nodes).  Not the solution for everyone obviously, but if I had as many nodes as you, I wouldn't want to deal with any inefficiency I didn't have to.

0 Kudos

The WorldWide Map needs access to the internet to pull the API from MapQuest (I think), so if you're not seeing the map then there is the first issue. As for updating the geolocation check out this reference: Place objects into the map using custom properties

- David Smith
0 Kudos

We have already created multiple groups without using cusom properties, we need to create each single map with topology.

need your inputs is that possible to drag and drop the appropriate location map in each group. i tried but when i refresh the page it saves the last map in all groups.

0 Kudos

You need to build your topology maps in the Network Atlas tool on the Orion server, then what most people do is name the map with the same name as the groups and follow the instructions in this post:

Custom Maps for Group Details Page

- Marc Netterfield, Github
0 Kudos

I have huge number of groups so if i mention one map, same map is getting reflected in all the groups.

0 Kudos

Sorry, I’m not sure I understand what you actually trying to do.

- David Smith
0 Kudos

Lets say in my environment i have 800+ stores and each store has 10 to 12 devices which includes Router, switch, WLC, AP.

Corresponding devices are added as a group for each store

my requirement is need to create individual maps for each stores and need to map the exact map for each store group

For eg : My store name is UXB1 and i have created a group called UXB1 and added the corresponding devices to the group. And the same way UXB1 location map needs to be displayed in the group.

0 Kudos