This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Manually specifying MachineType when 'unknown'

We have site-to-site VPNs that we ICMP poll, and because of which their MachineTypes are listed as "UNKNOWN".  All our node details views are defined by the "Assign Views by Type of Node" options, so we can't actually create a "VPN NODE" view and properly assign it.  I would like to be able to edit the Node Details in NPM and manually specify "VPN SITE", etc.

Is this possible?

Another option would be to add a feature to Orion in addition to the "Assign Views by Type of Node", which would be "Assign Views by Custom Property".  Then, views could be used IF particular custom properties existed for a node. 
  • Hey Chris,

Well, you can change the MachineType to anything you want, but unfortunately it will be overwritten, as this is something that's collected and updated during the scheduled node rediscovery. You're right about the desired use of custom properties... Would be nice.

• This kind of matter interests me too.. I see that the topic is very old but as of today (10.3.1) it don't seem to be resolved.

Since we cannot assign view by custom properties, is there a way to assign a view directly to specific nodes? It would not be dynamic but meanwhile may work

• Not as far as I know.

However, you can create a dynamic link in which you can click to transfer you over to the right view.

Below is a link I created for the custom HTML link resource.

<a href="http://[IP ADDRESS]/Orion/NetPerfMon/NodeDetails.aspx?netobject=N:${NodeID}&viewid=X"> Link text </a>

Replace [IP ADDRESS] , X and Link text with what you need. Do not replace ${NodeID} as it will autopopulate with the correct info for that node.

To see which viewid a view has just use preview on the editting the view and note the viewid on the address bar.

Then simply have the Unknown devices be assigned with a view that has a selection of these custom HTML resources with the approriate titles and links.