This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Manage Pollers (AKA Device Studio) question

I'm trying to create some "Node Details" pollers for giving better Machine Type descriptions to several devices.  Two examples I'm working with are F5 Big-IP vCMP Guest Nodes and Nexus 9000 series (specifically DS-C9710 and N9K-C9504).

The F5 vCMP Guest's show up as Vendor Unknown and Machine Type as either "Linux localhost.localdomain" or "Linux localhost" and their sysobjectID = 1.3.6.1.4.1.3375.2.1.3.4.1000 (which is the F5 OID for "Unknown"  This is a known issue apparently with these vCMP guest's on F5's web site where the SysobjectID show's up as the .1000 "Unknown")

The Cisco DS-C9710's and N9K-C9504 show up as Vendor of "Cisco" and Machine Type of "Cisco" and sysobjectID = 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.12.3.1.3.1327 and 1507 (respectively)

So, I created a new "Node Details" poller for each of these and put in the SysObjectID of 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2 and then used a fixed value for the Vendor fields.  For the Machine Type field of the F5 Poller I was able to point it to an OID that retrieves the model number of the device, so it automatically populates the F5 with the appropriate model number in the Machine Type field.  For Cisco though I can't find an OID that retrieves a simple model number (I know one must exist because the Hardware Health built-in native poller retrieves it, but even after a SNMP walk and a bunch of googling I can't find a simple model number OID for these Nexus Cisco switches).

Questions:

- When assigning a polling package in "Manage Pollers", what does the scan match on?  I thought it was the sysobjectID but I have two different Nexus 9000 series devices, both with different sysobjectID's and they match the same polling package.  Like in the screenshot below, the poller has a sysobjectID that resolves to a Cisco OID ending in 1327, but if I scan this polling package against a pair of Cisco Nexus N9K-C9504 with a Cisco OID ending in 1507, it still matches.  How is that possible?  If it doesn't match on SysobjectID's, what does it match on?

pastedImage_1.png

- Does anyone know what SNMP OID the Hardware Health poller is getting the detailed model numbers from for Cisco devices (or any devices it polls really)?

- If there are SNMP OID's out there that provide model numbers, why doesn't the Machine Type field just use those in the first place instead of having SolarWinds have to keep up a database mapping SysobjectID's to model numbers?  There are always TONS of devices that have incorrect, incomplete, or missing data in the Vendor and/or Machine Type fields...  Why not just poll this data and ease the burden?

• I'm revisiting this for a new batch of devices and still have no clue how this works...  So, bump.

Does anyone know what Manage Pollers (aka Device Studio) matches on when scanning a polling package against nodes?  My custom Cisco Nexus Node Details poller I built matches on every single SNMP Node in our environment, yet when I download somebody else's polling package it only matches on the devices they built the poller for.  It's driving me nuts since I really don't see any difference between the OID's they use and the one's I use...

• Say you want to setup a Node Device custom poller. When you select a test node and advance to the next panel in the wizard, you set the SysObjectId by using a standard MIB location (1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2). The value returned by this MIB is related to the vendor classification of the device. It will be a value in the vendor MIB tree. Later on when looking for matches for the poller it should only match devices with the same (or similar?) SysObjectId value.

Wes