This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Maintenance Mode Limit

Our environment is big and have a number of customers that can put alerts into maintenance mode. This is great however the problem comes down when our EOC checks audit logs for nodes in maintenance and see some that are almost a year long or longer. We want to continue to allow individuals from teams to put nodes into maintenance but really can't keep allowing them to when they  can make it as long as they want. Is there any way possible to make a default limit? An example would be to make the max time be 90 days that someone can place a node on mute or unmanage? 

• There is no "easy" way.

1) I handled this by an external script that checks for it and directly injects a ticket into our helpdesk system.  

2) A Widget on their default summery screen to show nodes in maintenance mode.

3) Create a feature request for this, then come back here and post a link to it and we will upvote it.

• Agreed - there is no easy way.

You can setup a policy/agreement with other teams/customers where you turn off mute and/or remanage everything over 90 days. My use of 90 days as a limit is arbitrary. 

Contact the support team about anything over XX days in maintenance mode. Create a list (ugh) of exceptions if you need to. Update maintenance modes with an end date if you can get that information. 

• I would be curious how many of those 'more than a year' nodes are in maintenance until (if memory serves) 12/31/9999. I recall that, when a node is 'permanently' unmanaged or muted, Orion inserts that date as the expiration date. Do you want to be able, or allow customers to permanently mark something as unmanaged/muted? That is something to consider when trying to limit what users can do with their maintenance mode dates.

• I did find that you can alert on auditing events, even though the node is in maintenance mode.  The SWQL needed to do that is gross.   But if you figured it out you could alert on it.  It's not the same as restricting it, but I do things like that to annoy users who break the rules.

•   I would say that 75% of them are set to: 12/31/9998 6:00:00 PM