This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

MachineType only shows 'Cisco'

I have two types of Cisco devices that only shows up as MachineType 'Cisco'

SysObjectID is 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.783 and 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.858

How do I get NPM to recognise the device types?

• svindler,

We can't, SW staff have to add the MIBs for the Cisco 1801 (783) and Cisco 892 (858) routers to the MIB database.

D

• I've put forward an idea to allow us to do this -- we've had a thread with thousands of suggestions for new mappings from oid to vendor/machinetype: it's time we had a way of doing this ourselves.

vote up: http://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/1952

/RjL

• I'm having the same issue.  I have Cisco ASA 5525s and Cisco 3850s in my production network, both showing as a machine type of 'Cisco' only.  I opened a support case, and they instructed me to open a feature request to have these added in a future release of NPM, which I have done (http://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/2373).  I personally think it is ridiculous and quite frustrating as I do not see adding an OID mapping into the table that they use for identifying machine types as an actual feature request.  It's simply a request to update their mappings.  When I have new SNMP MIBs to be added they take those and release an updated MIB library you can download into your NPM instance, and they release those adhoc, so why is this any different?  I'm hoping a PM can comment on this as it is particularly frustrating to me personally as I'm about to replace a slew of 2950s and 2960s with 3850s in my production network, and I'm going to be in a position where I can't have customized views for these devices because of the inability to properly identify them.  In addition, because NCM is now integrated with NPM, it will impact my ability to run my customized NCM jobs for backing up switches, firewalls, routers, and other devices at different times, because if the system thinks an ASA 5525 and 3850 are both 'Cisco' and the job is setup by machine type, it's going to try and back up all of them at once, which is not what I want or need for my business requirements.

• I know a workaround that you can use for custom jobs until this is resolved.  To select just the device type you want, do it by System Description instead.  In the NCM or NPM job, do a Select nodes where System Descr contains XXXX.  XXXX can be the device type.  XXXX can be 3800 or 3900, etc.

• Thanks for the tip.  I may go ahead and try that to at least get my backups taken care of until they get the issue resolved for proper identification based off the OID.

• I'm having the same problem, but only with certain devices.  I have a number of Cisco ASA 5585 firewalls and some are properly discovered (as ASA 5580-40), and others are only discovered as "Cisco" for the machine type.  the SNMP configuration of the devices are all the same.  I'm also having the same problem with some McAfee Webwasher appliances - I have nine that are "Webwasher" machine types, and one that's "Cyberguard".  They are all the same version and same SNMP configuration.  Yes, the devices have been rebooted and I've tried "rediscovering" the device in Solariwnds.  No change.  I'll bet if I were to delete and re-add the device in Solarwinds, it would show up correctly?