This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

MIB Install Multiple Poller Clarification

The documentation doesn't specify so I'm going to ask here.  I have always installed a new MIB.cfg on all of my polling engines but to be honest I don't know if that is truly necessary.  The instructions don't state one way or another.  So I have two requests.  Can someone from SolarWinds confirm if it is indeed necessary to install on all polling engines and secondly can the documentation be update to clarify that it is either needed on one or all.

Instruction snippet from the zip file.

Updating the MIB Database for Orion NPM

The following procedure updates the Orion NPM MIB database.

To update your existing Orion NPM MIB database:

1. 1.   Extract the compressed MIBs.cfg file to an appropriate temporary location.
  2. 2.   Navigate to the appropriate MIBs.cfg default installation location, as indicated in the following steps:

Note: If your operating system uses Regional Settings other than English (United States), confirm that you are installing the MIBs.cfg file to the appropriate native region location.

1. a.   If you have installed Orion NPM 10.0 or later, the default location depends your installed Windows operating system version, as follows:

·         On Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, and Windows 7, the default location is C:\ProgramData\SolarWinds\.

·         On Windows Server 2003 or earlier, it is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\.

1. b.   If you have installed Orion NPM 9.5.1 or earlier, the default location is C:\Program Files\SolarWinds\Common\.
  2. 3.   Copy the extracted MIBs.cfg file from its temporary location to the appropriate default location as indicated in the previous step, and then replace the existing MIBs.cfg file.
  3. 4.   Click Start > All Programs > SolarWinds Orion > Advanced Features > Orion Service Manager.
  4. 5.   Click Shutdown Everything, and then, after all services have stopped, click Start Everything.

For more information or further assistance, submit a technical support ticket at http://www.solarwinds.com/support/ticket/.

• Since the file exists on all the pollers, I simply presumed that it needed to be installed.

I have a handy-dandy DOS batch file that renames the old copy, pushes the new file from the primary to all my other pollers, and calls it a day. I do NOT programmatically stop and testart Solarwinds services.

I'm reckless, but not crazy.

• I'm more looking for confirmation that I do indeed need to restart all my pollers.  I'm trying to get this on our standard change list so I can do it without board approval.