Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 14

Looking for ideas on how to depict cluster servers on maps

Jump to solution

All,

I am curious how the user community is showing clustered servers on their maps. I am currently only showing the physical nodes but want to see if I can put together a meaningful map that shows the virtual node with the physical nodes as well.

In the same light I would be curious how you are showing SAN connections.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Sorry the two smaller server srepresent the physical nodes and larger one is the resource, in this case a SQL server.  The icons where taken from Visio.

JB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Level 12

for the most part clusters are about services and redundancy to keep the service alive even when you have failed hardware.

to that end the service will have its own node entry in Orion that will give you information on the service portion, then the physical nodes will also have entries in Orion to allow the hardware people to keep up with their part also.

So with all this said I use a service map to show the status of the services and then have other maps for all the physical parts.  By separating them out your Operations center can see that the service is still up and allow the system admin to sleep for a few hours instead of waking him up to find out that all is well and that his cluster failed over as was intended.

Example would be on the service map have

File server 1

Filer server 2

then the second map would have

ClusterABCnode1

ClusterABCnode2

ClusterABCnode3

This is one way to break it up but you really just have to decide what works best for your operation.

0 Kudos
Level 13

Here is how I depict clusters, we do not show SANs.

JB

0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing JB... can you provide some comments on what is what?

0 Kudos

Sorry the two smaller server srepresent the physical nodes and larger one is the resource, in this case a SQL server.  The icons where taken from Visio.

JB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos