This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Locate nodes with outdated/invalid SNMP info

Today it was requested that I add some additional monitors to a NPM node.  While setting them up, I happened to notice that the data was all outdated.  This node, like many of ours, utilize SNMP for polling.  However, I believe some time ago this node was replaced by one with the same hostname/IP address.  The SNMP settings were never configured on the replacement node, and thus the node basically was only being monitored for up/down status, since it wasn't able to poll for SNMP data.  Now I'm feeling like I've probably got lots of these floating around the network and don't know of a good way of determining which nodes are configured for SNMP but aren't actually polling.  Does anyone have a recommendation for checking this?

• This isn't a direct answer to my question, but I went through manually and tried to find the ones I can.  For anyone else looking for an answer, this is what I did (will have to suffice until I can find a better answer).  If you go to manage nodes, sort by status (maybe reverse sort) and look for nodes with something other than "Node Status is Up", typically will have some interface/resource with the status "unknown".  Not a 100% indication, but at least a good starting point.  I also found nodes that had no sub-resources and at least some of them, upon further inspection, some of them were set up for SNMP polling, but were not able to do so.  These probably never were set up to monitor resources, so I reconfigured SNMP polling and added additional resources.  Again, this isn't really an answer to my question, but more of a starting point.  I'd have to imagine that somehow there is a more definitive way of looking for invalid SNMP info.

• You could try running this in the Database manager on the Solarwinds server.

SELECT ip_address, CAPTION, ObjectSubType, Community, Vendor, statusdescription FROM [dbo].[NodesData] WHERE ChildStatus = 0 AND ObjectSubType = 'SNMP'

2016-05-23 15_34_03-se-lhi-atol-ori (10.199.21.25) - Remote Desktop Connection Manager v2.7.png

• Awesome.  According to this, I got all of them from my previous efforts (minus one that I already knew about and am keeping in it's current state).  I like this query, thank you for this.  Just curious, what is statusdescription==0 actually mean?

• do you have a finished result/Product for this? 

Thanks,

• Not sure what you mean.  Using the steps I outlined in my first self-reply I was able to find the majority of the nodes in question, but if I would have started by doing what chad.every said, I think I would have basically gotten to the same end.  The SQL query seems to work.  It should basically return the nodes in question.  At that point it would be up to you to go configure SNMP settings in Solarwinds/the node OS settings.