This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Loading Orion database on a DR host

I have Orion NPM and SQL Server 2005 in production. I want to do a DR test and recover Orion and its database on a DR host.

On our DR host, I have an eval copy of Orion and imported a database backup on SQL server 2008. When I configure the eval Orion to accept the database, it warns that the database has an existing polling engine associated with it, and shows the IP of the Orion production host.

If I continue this recovery, will there be any impact on the production Orion host and database? Will the eval copy of Orion begin polling the network? I probably should shutdown the production hosts to test the DR, but just wondering what happens if I don't.

• Answers:

If I continue this recovery, will there be any impact on the production Orion host and database?

IMHO, No.

Will the eval copy of Orion begin polling the network?

Kinda. Since the database "tags" each node with the name of the polling engine responsibile, the DR copy won't do much of anything since that polling engine isn't assigned any nodes to poll. But it COULD start polling nodes if you re-assigned them. (See below for more info)

I probably should shutdown the production hosts to test the DR, but just wondering what happens if I don't.

IMHO you shouldn't need to. With that said

More about your DR test

The problem with this test is that it doesn't really test how you would actually do things in the case of a disaster. The reason I gave above for why the DR poller won't actually do anything is the same reason this isn't a valid DR test. In order to make a complete test of DR, you would need to:

A) re-assign all nodes to start using the DR polling engine (it might be as simple as a SQL Update query to change the polling engine ID. BUT I DON"T KNOW, SO YMMV.

B) remove the references to the production poller from the installation

There are other ways to achieve a DR test that may be more accurate in the long run. A lot depends on what is required to be running in DR for you to pass audit.

• Thanks for the helpful answer. Yeah, I'm just doing something informal that I initiated myself. I'm not testing automatic failover. Basically, I want to see how to load a backup of the production DB into a new SW Orion host. So far so good. But now I will see how I will point the DR setup to the new polling engine.

Message was edited by: Brendan Choi