Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Linux Diskspace mis-match

Jump to solution

Hi There,

Orion reports disk space differently than Linux and I'd like to get them to match. Please review the attached screen prints. Check the and compare the diskspace total, used and available for few of the partition. Like for under putty local/wwmail03data1 shows 825 total & 2.3 GB availbale where as under Solarwinds it shows 885 total and 48 available. Why this difference....how can it be resolved such that solarwinds reports as per the OS reporting (red-hat) ? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Shailesh

0 Kudos
1 Solution

We originally had the Volumes Resource using a decimal (base 10) in Orion NPM 9.5 - 9.5.1. We however made the change to 1024n due to large requests by customers to report Volumes as they would see it on their systems. This is what we have in the Release Notes:

Fixes in Orion NPM Version 10.0

Orion NPM version 10.0 included the following fixes and updates:

-Disk space calculations have been reconfigured to use 1024 instead of 1000 as the sizing factor.

The scenario that customers were seeing was that their average volume used graph on a 30GB drive is showing 32GB when it is at 100%. Using the division by 1024 matches what is seen in Alerting and Reporting as well. When customers were using 1000, they were not getting Alerted correctly. I believe that Linux is the only system using a binary calculation.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Level 8

we see similar issues in the NPM 12 version too... is there any workaround to fix this?

0 Kudos
Level 14

I have the exact same issue. Just opened a case and I get the same response from SolarWinds staff.

OS shows

Linux_Disk.png

NPM Shows

NPM_Disk.png

Basically SolarWinds staff said that OpenView and OS display (calculates) false values but SolarWinds displays true disk usage information. It's not a bug it's a feature again and again. I can't explain this to anybody! Please fix this ASAP.

We have the same issue as well at our environment, recently updated the MIB Database on all pollers to see if that makes any difference, but in vein.

0 Kudos
Level 15

Most likely the issue is:

Linux screen shot, 1GB = 1024*1024*1024

NPM: 1GB = 1000*1000*1000

Solarwinds should changed their calculations.

0 Kudos

Most likely the issue is:

Linux screen shot, 1GB = 1024*1024*1024

NPM: 1GB = 1000*1000*1000

Solarwinds should changed their calculations.

SolarWinds is correct, 1GB = 10^9.  1GiB = 2^30, which is what the linux machine is reporting with.  

What SolarWinds *should* do is not to change their calculations, but offer the ability to report the values in GB or GiB through a config setting.  Its purely a display/preference issue.

0 Kudos

I get that there is definitions for it, but a standard needs to be established and followed.

Microsoft 2^30
Linux 2^30
Memory 2^30
hard drive 10^9
Mac 10^9

My opinion is once 1 byte = 10^2 or 10^3 or (10^3)/4 (?) (100 or 1000 or 250 (?)) combinations, then we should switch everything to the base 10 system, but computers are based in binary and everything should be explained in binary terms 2^8 = 1 byte, 2^10 = Kilobyte (KB/KiB who cares), 2^20 ...

The only reason to use base 10 is to make it easier for humans and so hard drive companies can claim they give you more space than they really do. 🙂

0 Kudos

Hi There,

To Solarwind staff....Is there anyway we can make the disk reporting under Solarwinds similar to that under Linux? Please let us know at the earliest.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Hi Solarwinds Satff,

Will be great if anyone from Solarwinds can comment on this post and provide any update/insight/work-around on this issue.

If it's a display or preferences issue...how can I fix it? Anything else?

Thanks

0 Kudos

We originally had the Volumes Resource using a decimal (base 10) in Orion NPM 9.5 - 9.5.1. We however made the change to 1024n due to large requests by customers to report Volumes as they would see it on their systems. This is what we have in the Release Notes:

Fixes in Orion NPM Version 10.0

Orion NPM version 10.0 included the following fixes and updates:

-Disk space calculations have been reconfigured to use 1024 instead of 1000 as the sizing factor.

The scenario that customers were seeing was that their average volume used graph on a 30GB drive is showing 32GB when it is at 100%. Using the division by 1024 matches what is seen in Alerting and Reporting as well. When customers were using 1000, they were not getting Alerted correctly. I believe that Linux is the only system using a binary calculation.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Hi Sean,

I am running on NPM 10.1.1 and NPM 10.2....but I still see this has not be corrected. Is there any setting that I need to change under the installation or from the web console?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Just out of curiosity have you had any luck resolving this? We are seeing issue in our environment regarding these exact same scenarios.

0 Kudos

Is there any changes that I can do under any files in the Solarwinds installation or this is something only Solarwinds can do on a coding level?

0 Kudos

I'll prompt a PM to comment on this.

0 Kudos

Appreciate any feedback/update on this.

0 Kudos