This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

[_LinkFor_Node] and friends - What are these?

Hi All,

I've been using [_Linkfor_Node] for a while off the back of examples from lovely people on Thwack, I'd love to know what it actually is though!

I've no idea if it's a SWQL or a SQL thing, and if it's documented anywhere, I dont recall spotting info about it anywhere and I dont know what the phrase to google is.

I've started experimenting with it in my custom queries, i'd love to know what else might work and how the syntax works for sure -

What do the square brackets mean?

What other descriptors can go after that first _?

Can anything go after the second _?

Are column aliases required?

What other cool stuff can I do with this?

Any info appreciated

- Adam

• _linkfor_ and _iconfor are special functions built into the Custom Query widget, they ONLY work inside that widget and cannot be used anywhere else.  After the second _ you put the name of whatever column you want to turn into a link, or an icon and on the backend it sees that and knows to convert whatever you fed it into the appropriate HTML syntax for the front end to display what we wanted.

What do the square brackets mean? just a way to wrap up a column alias in sql/swql

What other descriptors can go after that first _? there are no others that have been made, yet.

Can anything go after the second _? Has to be the name of a column that appears earlier in the query, case sensitive

Are column aliases required? not required, you can do a [_linkfor_Caption] if you had previously used the Caption column in your query

What other cool stuff can I do with this?

If i remember correctly I believe antonis.athanasiou​​ had once posted a modified version of that widget (have to replace the aspx file on your web server) that he made to allow it to have more custom functions like that.  I don't remember the details but maybe he will chime in.

• That is everything I was after, much appreciated!

• Just seen it mesverrum, here it is : Custom Query resource with colors and styles

I'm also (trying-to-get-some-time-to-work-on) creating progress bars but it is just a little bit harder than anticipated so far..!