This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

License

Hello, I understand that the licensing for volumes are C:.

I would like to ask any expert that does we count the memory (physical & virtual) as 2 license under volumes?

Thanks!

• neomatrix1217​ is correct.  Each volume consumes one "element" from your license.

• Hello Ahhong

I have checked it for you on my labs and all volume types are included in the overall number of volumes.

You can verify it in your setup by disabling monitoring for certain volume and checking the overall number here:

SolarWinds Web Interface -> Settings -> All Settings -> License Details -> Orion -> Volumes currently monitored

Such types as Physical Memory,  Virtual Memory, floppy A:\, volume C:\, cd drive D:\ or Linux mount points /mnt/vol1 are all included in the volumes for licensing.

Please note that this is for volumes monitored by SNMP and WMI using Network Performance Monitor

You can also monitor Linux volumes via SSH and Server & Application Monitor, however that would be an application element.

In most cases you would not need to worry about license limitations for volumes.

For example, NPM SL2000 license can handle up to 2.000 interfaces, 2.000 nodes/devices (for up/down status) and 2.000 volumes.

This means that SL2000 provides monitoring for up to 6.000 elements.

As long as the number of interfaces are bigger than volumes, you have nothing to worry about emoticons_happy.png

Kind regards,

Marcin Kazmierczak.

---

IT-Indago Ltd. - Authorized Reseller & SolarWinds Certified SCP Professional

IT-Indago – Be In Control!  |  Follow us on Facebook & LinkedIn

• Thank very much, Will do!

• Do you have any idea why we counted as volume instead of nodes?

• Would any expert explain the interface and nodes? My monitoring metrics is not tally with the licensing and I am struggling to figure out.

My understanding is nodes: packet loss (ping), latency isit response?

• Hello ahhong

>> My understanding is nodes: packet loss (ping), latency isit response?

Node is any network device monitored by ICMP (ping), SNMP or WMI. It would not matter which protocol you choose, the licensing would be counted in the same way (for nodes number).

Monitoring nodes only by ICMP would give you packet loss, up/down status and response time.

Montioring via SNMP or WMI would give you interfaces, CPU, memory, volumes and more good stuff.

When you choose SNMP or WMI, you can still check the status of the node using ICMP and this would still count as 1 point from your license (I remembered taxi cab from Fifth element movie emoticons_happy.png )

Small hint:

===============

Let's assume that you have used max of your license due to number of interfaces.

You would still have ability to add more nodes (without interfaces). If you add them using SNMP or WMI, you could actually monitor topology layer 2 and 3, VLANs, CPU, hardware sensors and few more things - within the same license!

Once you would have topology 2 & 3, you can create network maps with Network Atlas and discover connections between those nodes - including % utilization (even if you do not monitor interfaces for them).

I have done this myself. In that way you can use your license to the max!

Kind regards,

Marcin Kazmierczak.

---

IT-Indago Ltd. - Authorized Reseller & SolarWinds Certified SCP Professional

IT-Indago – Be In Control!  |  Follow us on Facebook & LinkedIn