I have a custom query that lists devices that are not currently polling by SNMP or WMI for statistics. The query uses the LastSystemUpTimePollUTC timestamp from the NodesStatistics table. However, a spot check reveals a few devices that will successfully poll for WMI. I look in the database for that node and can see that the value for the LastSystemUpTimePollUTC is indeed about 3 months old. How is this happening? Why is the value not updating? Thoughts?
My first instinct is that WMI is not functioning on the target node (or there's something blocking the path). I would test from far end to locale.
The easiest test to do would be this one: https://support.solarwinds.com/SuccessCenter/s/article/Testing-WMI-Connectivity.
For good measure, I tried the same on the machine I ran the test from. In order for it to work locally you must leave the username, password, and authority fields blank. If you can enumerate the classes, WMI is working. Try the test then from your polling engine. If it works locally, but not from the poller, I would then suspect that there is a network related issue (firewall, network config for WMI on the target node, etc.).
SolarWinds solutions are rooted in our deep connection to our user base in the THWACK® online community. More than 150,000 members are here to solve problems, share technology and best practices, and directly contribute to our product development process. Learn more today by joining now.