cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

LLDP Topology Data Being Ignored?

Jump to solution

I'm trying to figure out why my LLDP data isn't being utilized by NPM.

I have Cisco L3 switches (Catalyst 3560E) with one or more rings of Moxa L2 switches (EDS-510A-3SFP) connected.  LLDP is enabled on all L3 and L2 switches.

The NPM Network Topology on the node details page for any Moxa switch shows only connections to Cisco switches (if they're directly connected) but never show the connections to other Moxa switches.  When I use Network Atlas to create a map and then try to use the ConnectNow feature I get connections from Cisco devices to any directly connected switch.  I do not get the Moxa L2 switches connected to other Moxa L2 switches in the ring.  Similarly, when I use Neighbor Map I get the same result--links between my Cisco switches and any directly connected Moxa switches but nothing beyond that (i.e. I don't get the rest of the ring).

As I said, LLDP is enabled, I can connect to the configuration page of the Moxa switches and see the LLDP data, and I can browse the LLDP data in the MIB Browser.  Everything looks like it should work...but it doesn't.

Please help?

Kevin

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 17

The NPM Topology polling only uses SNMP.  It doesn't actually use CDP or LLDP.  There are a specific set to MIBs used for this.  One thing you can do is go into the install directory (usually \Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion and run a tool called the pollerchecker.exe.  When this is run, select the devices that are not showing up, select Topology and check the pollers.  This will show you if those devices support the MIBs that SolarWinds is using for topology polling.

Regards,

Matthew Harvey

Loop1 Systems

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Level 7

The information to show the layer two interconnections using SNMP is standard in other network monitoring products, but for some reason Solarwinds is not implementing this basic feature?

I have worked with other products and this is standard and is part of the discovery process, for example spectrum by CA.

For a start while the function is being implemented, they could simply  add the feature where it has not discovered the correct connections, allow you to make a manual change where you know what is connected to what.

You would think a manual process would at least be in place......

0 Kudos
Level 17

The NPM Topology polling only uses SNMP.  It doesn't actually use CDP or LLDP.  There are a specific set to MIBs used for this.  One thing you can do is go into the install directory (usually \Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion and run a tool called the pollerchecker.exe.  When this is run, select the devices that are not showing up, select Topology and check the pollers.  This will show you if those devices support the MIBs that SolarWinds is using for topology polling.

Regards,

Matthew Harvey

Loop1 Systems

View solution in original post

Well, that seems to have cleared things up.  While the LLDP neighbors are listed elsewhere in the MIB tree the LLDP-MIB:lldpRemManAddrIfId (OID: 1.0.8802.1.1.2.1.4.2.1.4) object isn't populated on the Moxa switches.  As far as I can tell this is a field used by Orion to check LLDP adjacencies.  I appreciate the help.