This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Job fails on 1 device out of 15

I'm trying to understand why a simple job we have is failing for just the one device.

Scenario: A specific client manager wants a particluar output from a batch of F5's and it works for 14 of them, but on just one it fails. The output is sent to an eMail address and this device is in the middle of the list, and shows this:

xxxx-bbbb-F501 (aa.bb.cc.dd):

tmsh show /sys log ltm | grep monitor | tail -n 10
  Syntax Error: unexpected argument "tmsh"

So this morning, I have tried the same command, in a job, just for this one device and get this:

4/14/2020 9:22:41 AM : Started xxxx Temp Checks - runs show /sys log

Execute Command Script on Devices
  1 devices selected

Devices: 1
  Errors: 0

xxxx-bbbb-F501 (aa.bb.cc.dd)       [NB - edited for privacy]  
  show /sys log ltm | grep monitor | tail -n 10
  Syntax Error: "tail", grep is currently the only filter that is supported

Now, if I log on to the device CLI directly (using the same credentials as in the job) it works and provides the expected output. Looking closely at the output on the CLI this device (and all the others) show this at the end:

config # Syntax Error: unexpected argument "tmsh"
-bash: Syntax: command not found

But, as stated above, for the other 14 it works, despite that end line. It manages to echo the rest of the output to the log file. If I remove the 'tmsh' from either the job or my CLI command I get an error - as expected.

The F5's are identical in version, etc.

I appreciate this may not even be a Solarwinds issue, but I'm a bit lost as to where to go next.

Any thoughts?

• Replying to myself ...

For some odd reason, that one, and only that one required the use of "bash" before executing the command. So tested by adding bash to the job, run on just that device and voila. Then added all the other devices back in and using bash, and it also works.

Typing bash<CR> on the CLI and then the show sys message also doesn't result in the weird message at the end.

Must be an oddity in the *nix side of things.