This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Is it possible to alert on an IP - less High Availability link?

We are running a cluster of two (redundant) Juniper SSG-550 firewalls, connected by the HA interface which is eth 2/0 on those.  I've tried a Basic Alert, an Advanced Alert, even opened a support case with SolarWinds a couple of months ago on this.  Anyway we are doing a project here this week affecting the firewalls, and noticed this morning that the alert did not send us an email.  The link going down though did show up in NPM Events at least. 

What I'm wondering, is whether this will ever work as the HA interface on the Junipers, has no IP address.  What normally goes on with that, is that the two firewalls simply bounce a heartbeat back and forth between them constantly.  When the offline firewall gets no reply from the online one, it takes over and passes the traffic.  I read through the support case notes from before as well as SW documentation; I'm quite sure this was set up properly but testing it a little while ago I did get this text in the Error Log:

Dec-20 03:03:11.16 : 7508 :   Could not create Alert Action (SWAlertActions.EmailAction)

Dec-20 04:03:10.36 : 2016 :   Could not create Alert Action (SWAlertActions.EmailAction)

Dec-20 10:28:16.41 : 5632 :   Could not create Alert Action (SWAlertActions.EmailAction)

Today is January 9 (2013) but those say Dec 20, which concerns me also.  The date and time are correct on the server itself.  Anyway I don't want to waste any more time with this, if it will never work so the big question is still can Orion NPM ever alert on an interface which has no IP address?

thanks!erting

• Yes, NPM can alert on interfaces with no IP addresses.  None of the interfaces in NPM have an IP address as far as NPM is concerned, they are merely ports on a node.  The messages you are seeing are somewhat concerning that there is an issue with the install.  Have you also checked the date on the SQL server to make sure it's correct?

Regards,

Matthew Harvey

Loop1 Systems

http://www.loop1systems.com

• What Matthew said is correct. If Orion can see the interface, it can send alerts on it.

Can you please send through how you've configured your alert. The fact that you saw the link go down in NPM Events means that the monitoring is working. I'm guessing it is using the "Alert me when an interface goes down" rule for that. You can either modify that rule to include an email for the Trigger Actions or better yet is to copy that out of the box alert (so it stays as it was). Then disable the original rule, and enable and modify the copy rule for what you want it to do.