cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Is It Possible to Convert a Trap to an OID

Jump to solution

Hello Community,

Can someone let me know if its possible convert a Trap, see below to an OID? Possibly with the Universal Device Poller?

alarm.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

The only way you could possibly do this is through a script that would in-turn make API calls. The API is available for download here

Orion SDK Information

Once you install, there is a powershell example in the Samples folder called NCM.ExecuteScript. However, passing parameters from Trap Viewer to a powershell script is very tricky. VBScript should work fine but there isn't an equivalent example for VBScript.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Level 17

Not directly the way you are thinking. Traps (which, as a point of correction, are also "OIDS") are configured within the SNMP agent running on every system to send outbound messages when a threshold is breached. It can't be polled.

In some cases, there is an equivalent poll-OID value that will give you the current value.

If that's not the case, then your next best option is to have NPM receive the trap and turn it into a message that you can view in the MessageCenter (and additionally an alert).

If you are more specific with which trap you are trying to get status for, we might be able to dig in a little deeper and answer your specific issue.

Leon Adato | Head Geek
------
"Measure what is measurable,
and make measurable what is not so." - Gallileo

0 Kudos

Leon,

I hope you're still around to help me with this issue.

The trap OID that I'm trying to convert to a poller OID is:  1.3.6.1.4.1.17163.1.1.4.0.9

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Regards

0 Kudos

It is outside your control to convert a trap OID to a poller OID.  It is a function of whether the MIB has a pollable OID that provides the information equivalent to the trap OID, i.e., it is up to the vendor's implementation of the SNMP Agent.

With respect to your main objective of being able to trigger an NCM action in response to a trap, that is standard functionality of NCM. You will need to define a rule from the Trap Viewer on the NCM server to define under what condition you want to trigger this NCM action. There is a section in the admin guide for Real-time Config Change Detection that covers that.

0 Kudos

Holy,

As regards converting Trap to Poller - thanks for that - you have saved me a lot of time.

As regards Trap Viewer - I didn't know there was a Trap Viewer on the NCM Server.

Just to sure, are you referring to the image below?

trap.PNG

Cheers

0 Kudos

That's the one

0 Kudos

Holy,

You're not given the option to execute an NCM action from here:

You can only execute an external program, see below:

trap.PNG

However, in Alerts, you are given the option, see below:

trap3.PNG

0 Kudos

See page 113 onwards http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/orionNCM/docs/orionNCMAdministratorGuide.pdf . You will need to execute an external action. BTW, this is to trigger an NCM config download, not to execute any commands via NCM. Apologies if I mus-understood.

0 Kudos

Hi Holy,

And therein lies the problem - I would like the Trap to trigger an external command with NCM the same way it does with Alerts as highlighted above ....

0 Kudos

The only way you could possibly do this is through a script that would in-turn make API calls. The API is available for download here

Orion SDK Information

Once you install, there is a powershell example in the Samples folder called NCM.ExecuteScript. However, passing parameters from Trap Viewer to a powershell script is very tricky. VBScript should work fine but there isn't an equivalent example for VBScript.

View solution in original post

OK, thanks.

Really appreciate your help

0 Kudos

Leon,

Could I not even convert to as you suggested

an equivalent poll-OID value that will give you the current value.

????

0 Kudos

Leon

Thanks for responding.

The most important feature I would like is the ability to run NCM when I trap is invoked, see below:

ncm.PNG

0 Kudos