This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Invalid object name 'NPM_NV_WL_CONTROLLERS_V'.

We just setup SolarWinds version 10.1 using a SQL Server 2005 backend.  Whenever we try to view a node (by x.x.x.x/.../NodeDetails.aspx, for example) the following error is thrown:

Invalid object name 'NPM_NV_WL_CONTROLLERS_V'.

After searching, I found other people running into this issue (via this thread).  I confirmed that the compatibility level of the database was, indeed, set to 90.  After, I re-ran the configuration wizard for the database, but an exception was thrown at the end of the process ("Database configuration failed: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.").  This exception has been thrown since the initial installation and we couldn't figure out how to clear it up, so we decided to proceed anyway to see if there were any snags during usage of the product.  Well, we've hit that snag.

I'm a database guy, so I looked at the SQL Server and noticed there was no table by this name.  I created the table manually.  Then exceptions were thrown about missing columns in the table, so I created those as well.  Then I started getting exceptions about another table that was entirely missing (NPM_NV_EW_ENTITY_SCRATCH).  At this point I stopped trying to manually fix the database because I have no idea how many tables or columns there would be or even the correct data types.  Rather than submit to some serious trial-and-error, I figured I would post here for some feedback.

Thanks.

• If you have only just installed Orion, I would suggest you confirm your Master DB settings are set to Compatibility 90, delete the database and let the Configuration Wizard create a fresh one.

• Still no luck.  I confirmed that the master db is set to compatibility 90. I keep getting the Invocation exception I mentioned in the original post when I run the config wizard.  Additionally, the tables mentioned are still missing. 

I've tried it every which way.  I have tried creating the SQL Server login and database manually and set all the permissions and ownership correctly (including many various configurations of permissions).  I have also tried letting the config wizard create the database and login all on it's own.

I'm going to try one last thing which is to initially login to the database using the sa account in the config wizard and then letting the config wizard create the user login and the database. 

I'm beginning to think it's not an issue with permissions or database compatibility, but something else entirely.

• Using the sa account didn't work.  I'm updating the SQL Server to SP3 to see if that makes a difference.

• It appears that the update to SP3 was what was needed.  Requirements say SP1 or better and we were running SP2.  Oh well.  Just happy it's working now.

• Tks Rawk.

We will update the doc. Tks for sharing

Francois Caron - Sr. Product Manager

• Rawk,

Do you have any insight into what update in SP3 it was exactly that fixed your issue? I am asking to determine if this is an isolated case, particular to your environment, or if this is something arising from a characteristic of NPM itself. If the former, I can write up a knowledge base article and release notes to address the specific situation. If it is the latter, it seems like something we need to investigate more thoroughly here.

Thanks,

• I can't be certain exactly what in SP3 fixed the issue since the errors I was receiving from the NPM were pretty vague.  In addition to upgrading to SP3, there were 87 critical windows updates that were applied to the system at the time of the SP3 upgrade.  It's entirely possible one of the critical updates fixed the issues we were having instead of the SP3 upgrade.

Sorry I can't really provide more insight, but if I had to guess, this was probably an isolated case.