This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Interface Detail Data Retention Concerns?

I am looking to increase interface detail data retention from 10 days to 45 days but I am concerned about any problems this may cause.  Are there certain numbers to watch out for regarding database table size or row count on the tables that this will affect?   What specifically should I watch for to see if this is having a negative impact on my system?

Thanks in advance for any pointers here!

• I don't think I have a set answer for you, but can provide information on what I did with similar situations. I tend to be an overly cautious type and have been a bit nervous with situations where I increased retention times for various aspects of the environment. Prior to increasing, I took note of database sizes, pertinent table sizes, etc, as well as system resource utilization , so I could have some type of baseline with which to compare after I made the changes. I did this on both the DB server as well as the Orion management server and additional pollers. I also noted the information under the Polling Information statistics under the Admin Settings in the console.

After making my changes, I did a comparison frequently to note changes, finding that many of my changes had little to no impact. Also, when I was feeling very cautious and had a bit more time with which to make the changes, I didn't do them all at once, but rather incrementally, for instance going from 10 to 20 to 30.

• Thanks for the response.  I have been going through and taking note of where all of my numbers are at now so I can compare after the changes are made.