Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Interface Aggregation Chart/Gauge/Perfstack

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out if I should be posting an Idea or just general discussion. I've decided to just start out as a discussion just in case I've not thought of all the possibilities to do what I'm trying to do.

So, I've been playing around replacing some of my charts with PerfStack charts instead because it allows us a more direct path to more detail statistics. One of the items that I'm not seeing a good way to incorporate is summary/aggregate data. I have 4 peering's across 2 physical devices that I want to see total BW and while the old chart was capable of aggregating all the interfaces into a single summary line, that chart is just limited. PerfStack is "Pretty" and flexible, but doesn't appear to incorporate aggregation. I'd like to keep it, but I don't want to add the old chart to supplement the aggregation because it takes up a lot of real estate on the web page to have both. I'd be happy with a gauge that shows the most recent aggregate or a chart that showed just the aggregate. I'd like to see the below in the product because I just can't see a way to do them. 

1. Add an option to aggregate/summarize a chart in Perfstack.

2. Add the ability to create an aggregate Gauge to show the last polled aggregate statistic for a group of interfaces.

3. Add the ability to create a custom chart that allows you to just show the aggregate statistic for a group of interfaces.

Does anyone know of ways to accomplish these things within the system?

Our Environment Versions:

NPM 12.4

Platform 2018.4

VNQM 4.5.1

SAM 6.7.1

NCM 7.9

VMAN 8.3.1

NTA 4.5.0

UDT 3.3.2

WPM 2.2.3

1 Solution

PerfStack does not support sum/aggregation at this time. This is a feature request we are tracking internally under PS-1134.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Level 12

The ability to SUM a multiple interface perfstack chart would be a godsend. IE; add JUST the SUM line to the chart, and not each interface. Although I could live with the SUM line just being included. These charts are much nicer and take up less space on a page.

Saying aggregation doesn't seem to add up with what you're doing fully; what are these interfaces? Are they physical? Logical? ?  You can probably/easily do 2-4 interfaces on a single chart in perfstack, either stacked onto one chart or stacked as a page by itself (with 4 charts or so). I recommend the latter for easier views and the former if you are looking to chart the results later.

Drag interface % utilization from the interface in question -> perfstack chart. Then add the perfstack chart as a component on a page. Done. Whether to stack or not depends on number of interfaces.

Are you trying to quantify a port channel across individual interfaces for the peering? Port channels themselves can be shown as an interface.

I'm doing exactly what you're saying already, but what I also want to see is the old custom chart capability of summary/aggregate of all interfaces on the chart. So if I have interface 1 = 10Mbps, Interface 2 = 10Mbps, Interface 3 = 10Mbps I'll have another line on the chart that aggregates/summarizes into 30Mbps total across all charted interfaces. See an image of my old chart.

This is my old chart that has the summary line so I can easily see the sum of all my internet peerings.

OldChart.png

This is the direction that I want to go, which I'm able to get both Transmit and Receive in a smaller footprint than 1 direction of the old chart.

NewChart.png

aLTeReGo​ - Any options on this?

0 Kudos

PerfStack does not support sum/aggregation at this time. This is a feature request we are tracking internally under PS-1134.

View solution in original post

We would like this feature too. Use case is tracking total throughput from all fileservers at all remote locations, so we can see the aggregated throughput. Currently using custom charts for this, but perfstack would be much better.

The reason we're doing this is so we can analysis the feasibility of centralizing all our fileservers in Azure. Thus, being able to see the aggregate throughput of all servers stacked on top of each other is essential.

0 Kudos

In the interim the older custom chart resource does still allow aggregation and would provide the functionality you describe.  There is no dataset that i have come across that you can display in perfstack that couldn't also be created using the older function, but perfstack undoubtedly looks cooler while doing it.

pastedImage_0.png

- Marc Netterfield, Github
0 Kudos