This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Integration with ticketing systems?

Hey there - has anyone done anything fancy with integrating Orion with their ticketing system? Right now, we just have Orion sending emails to an address that generates tickets into our ticketing system (ServiceNow, for the curious.) We have reset notices going to our team distribution list, not to create tickets (of course).

However, this creates a lot of duplicates, in cases where a disk may go over and under threshold, or CPU or memory thresholds. Also, we have had people accidentally close out tickets when the alert had not reset - if you have 12 alerts and 11 resets, you might close all of them accidentally, thinking they had all reset. I'd rather have an existing ticket (one that hasn't been closed yet) get updated if an alert flaps a dozen times, instead of have 12 duplicate tickets. It would also be nice to NOT allow a tech to close a ticket for a triggered (not reset) alert.

I have thought it would be a good idea to have our ticketing system have a better idea about actual current alert status, but I need to make sure I'm tracking the right things. It looks like Basic alerts are uniquely identified by the AlertID from the Alerts table, and Advanced Alerts are uniquely identified by the AlertDefID in the AlertDefinitions table? I'm thinking that I can get our ticketing system to track triggered and reset alerts by a combination of the AlertID or AlertDefID, and NodeID, plus VolID or AppID for applcation and volume alerts.

Has anyone had any experience doing this? Obviously, the heavy lifting for me will be doing the work in our ticketing system email handling rules, but I wanted to make sure my assumptions about the above are correct first :->

• An impressive example here -

and some other options discussed... 

• Wow - that's some very impressive work from Steele. I'll see how much of that I can apply to what I'm doing. The rest of them looked like different ways to get Orion to display info from ticketing systems, which isn't really what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

• I did something a little more basic with BMC to generate tickets.
    I setup the alert to write to a text file which is monitored by BMC.
    It parses this file every minute and generates a ticket based on the new information in the file.
    (Note you must have the BMC Patrol Agent installed on the server where the text file resides).

Here is an example or a trap in the text file which BMC parses: 

ECHO is on.
    May-23 08:31:14   10.1.1.2
                      sysUpTime = 0
                      snmpTrapOID = SOLARWINDS-TRAPS
                      Enterprise = SolarWinds
                      AlertMessage = ##PEM 5/23/2008-09:31:AM Orion-Mon-01 SK-Alert Node_Down [ Store32 Ph. (555) 555-5555 RMS-64 ]

I don't know the BMC side of things, as this is managed by another group, and it is all just Black Magic to me ;-)
    I just setup the alert sent to the trap in the format that the BMC team required.