cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 12

Increase NPM polling interval to 60 seconds on select nodes.

Jump to solution

We have been considering increasing the polling interval for some mission critical routers throughout our network.

We have 200 routers out of 1600+ nodes.

We have the server hardware to handle the load, that's not a concern.

The networking team is concerned about the increase in traffic.

I say the impact would be minimal, given the fact of only changing polling for about 10% of the devices.

Has anybody started polling devices and 60 seconds?

How were your results?

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 13

Personally 200 devices will be fine. Or at least it was for me. It in theory would be the same as adding in 200 more nodes on the 2 minute cycle. So if you can handle that then it will be fine.

I have even decreased hardware health from 10 mins to 1 mins on a a few 100 core devices and it didn't have that much of an impact.

If they are worried slowly decrease it for say 50 at a time.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Level 12

Thanks for the input. I made the switch a while ago and it's been smooth sailing.

Level 12

Depending on how busy your network gear is - ICMP is treated as low priority, and potentially could be dropped if router/switch is under heavy load, causing a false down node alert....just something to keep in mind. Set the alert to not fire until after say 5 minutes to avoid any false alerts.

Hadn't thought of that, very valid point.

I avoid it where possible but to combat that they could change status to use SNMP.

Level 13

Personally 200 devices will be fine. Or at least it was for me. It in theory would be the same as adding in 200 more nodes on the 2 minute cycle. So if you can handle that then it will be fine.

I have even decreased hardware health from 10 mins to 1 mins on a a few 100 core devices and it didn't have that much of an impact.

If they are worried slowly decrease it for say 50 at a time.

View solution in original post