cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

In-place poller upgrade from 2008 R2 to 2012 - any gotchas?

Hi, everyone -

For a couple of reasons, we're going to upgrade the poller box for our Orion implementation from 2008 R2 to 2012. If anyone has performed this process, I'd be grateful to hear about your experience, good or bad - and any specific pieces of information that might aid in a seamless transition. The dearth of thwack content about this gives the impression of a non-issue, but I wanted to exercise at least a little due diligence before pulling the trigger.

Thanks!

Labels (2)
22 Replies
Level 17

Last time I've had to upgrade the OS I had to reinstall Orion.  I don't know if it was due to how the upgrade ran or what, but while the file system was still there, Programs and Features had no indication of SolarWinds. 

0 Kudos

Oh, man.....that doesn't sound fun at all.

Thanks for the information. Were you going from 2008 to 2012?

0 Kudos

I think we were moving from 2008 to R2, which may have been the cause.

Thanks for the info!

I might take a snap, shut down the box, make a clone, try the upgrade on the clone and see what happens....if it blows up, I'll just back out of the room quietly and revert to a snap.

0 Kudos

if your server is running on vmware, which implies that you have your SW database on another server

why not

a) build a shiny new 2012 server

b) shutdown the old solarwinds vm image...

c) install products on the new server pointing at the old database

d) move the licenses.

I'm not a fan of in-place upgrades for windows; there always seems to be some cruft left behind.

Any difference in how you'd approach this if you want the new server to have the same IP/name as the old one?

For simplicity's sake, I'd like to leave all the pieces in place that allow the IP of our poller/web box to talk to our stuff, so I want the upgraded server to at least have the same IP as the old (and probably the name for documentation's sake, too).

I can't think of any big differences here...just mulling over my chronology. Take old server offline, rename/address the new box, install the stuff, point it to the DB, move licenses, etc.

Of course, I'll have to deactivate the licenses on the old box first, won't I?

Boy, it goes to show you how rusty stuff can get when you don't do it very often!

Thanks for any info.

0 Kudos

Not really.  We did that ourselves here.  However rather than rename things first, we did it after the upgrade and migration.   After the upgrade, once we were ready to kiss the old server goodbye, we moved it to a dynamic IP and shut it down, then changed the IP on the new server, updated DNS and restarted. 

0 Kudos

Thanks for that info! Was your server a combo web/poller box, or were these separate entities for you?

0 Kudos

It was our main poller/web server.  We also added a secondary polling server as well.  The biggest gotcha for us was to rerun the config wizard and change a couple of settings I had in the Websites table when I had bound the IP for the website.

0 Kudos

I assume I'll want to deactivate the licenses on the old box before I shut it down, correct?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos

Your assumption is correct.

First time in my life....

Thank you!

0 Kudos

I know what you mean.  I'm married....that means I assume usually means I'm wrong but don't want to admit it (thankfully my wife is not a thwack member or I'd be dead soon).

Attempted an in-place upgrade to a clone and everything looked okay, but half of the SW services wouldn't start. Bogus dependency failures, etc.

Guess I'll have to do it the new-build way after all. My main gripe is having to re-install all of the modules...that takes a while!

0 Kudos

I find that it takes less time to re-install all of the additional polling engines for four products than for Solarwinds Technical support to answer the phone.

POW!!!!! And the ref takes a point away lol

0 Kudos

Cheeky!

0 Kudos

Indeed it does, but I think it's more due to the OS upgrade than anything SolarWinds can do.

0 Kudos

Agreed! What, we're not allowed to complain about silly stuff anymore?

0 Kudos

By all means complain away...I've got nothing against it....  or do I?