This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

If I add a device to NPM using SNMPv3 credentials does this mean I am getting SNMP v3 Traps automatically or does that need to be configured on the device I'm polling?

As above If I add a device to NPM using SNMPv3 do I automatically get SNMP v3 Traps or does this need to be configured on the device I am polling? Could I be polling the device using SNMPv3 and at the same time the device in question is sending me SNMPv2 Traps?

• Based on my experience traps and polls are separate things.  You can receive traps or poll devices, or do both and they are configured differently on the end devices I've got experience with, i.e. Cisco networking gear, Juniper stuff, Windows and linux servers etc.

• Thanks for the reply. As it turned out Yes I can poll with SNMP V3 and receive traps in a v2 format so yes you're right traps and polls are separate things. I didn't configure the end device myself but it turns out that we needed to configure this on the end device