Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 12

Identifying Nodes With Incorrect SNMP Community Strings

Jump to solution

Hello All,

Recently, it came to my attention that a device had an incorrect community string applied to it, causing the device to not report statistics data correctly. The manager of the group responsible for the device has asked me for some way to identify all devices in our environment that might have incorrect community strings. That is, he would like to know those devices that have a community string that differs from what was originally set up in Orion.

I know that I can go into a node in Edit Mode and test a community string, but I was wondering if there was some type of query I could run against the DB, or a report I could create, that would do this for me across the environment. If this is answered somewhere else, or exists already, I apologize--I am fairly new to Orion administration, and I am learning as I go.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 10

Hi,

with NPM 10.3 we ship internal tool called PollerCheckerTool.exe. It is in Orion installation directory.

1. Run Poller Checker Tool, check all nodes (use "Invert" button), select PollerChecker/N.PollerChecker.SNMP.SnmpCredentialsChecker poller and hit detect now

2. If all results are green it means all credentials are OK. If red rows are reported, customer needs to fix credentials first.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Level 12

Thank you both for the replies. The query will be helpful on multiple levels, and the PollerChecker tool points me directly to those nodes with problems. I am surprised that PollerChecker tool is not listed in the program group (or is it a subprogram of something else?). I am still trying to get a handle on all of the modules and programs involved in our Solarwinds environment--it is quite daunting at an early stage.

0 Kudos
Level 10

It is not listed because it is not an official tool. It is mainly used by support for troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Hi,

with NPM 10.3 we ship internal tool called PollerCheckerTool.exe. It is in Orion installation directory.

1. Run Poller Checker Tool, check all nodes (use "Invert" button), select PollerChecker/N.PollerChecker.SNMP.SnmpCredentialsChecker poller and hit detect now

2. If all results are green it means all credentials are OK. If red rows are reported, customer needs to fix credentials first.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Level 9

Is this still a valid tool? While it seems to run OK, for me it completely skips over some nodes, and I can't figure out why. (No red or green lines; I pick 7 nodes (that pass the "edit node" SNMP check, but only 5 results are returned by the tool.)

0 Kudos
Level 12

Hi

if that device is in SolarWinds already, just follow the steps outlined on this blog post:

Under The Radar: Device Not Replying To SNMPWMI/Agent - Prosperon Networks | Prosperon Networks

Raul Gonzalez

Prosperon - UK SolarWinds Partners

Installation | Consultancy | Training | Licenses

facebook_icon.jpglinkedin.pngblogger.pngtwitter-icon.jpg

Level 11

Open a SQL management studio session and run this query:

select caption, groupstatus from Nodes where GroupStatus like '%-unknown.gif'

This should give you something of a list of Nodes who has interfaces with an "Unknown" status.

Generally what happens is the node will be green (ICMP replies) but will have interfaces grey because they can't be polled via SNMP.  Depending on how large and well maintained of a environment you have, you may get some false positives.