This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Identify Trunk Ports vs. Access Ports - possible approach...

Hi,

I had this topic for one of my Orion Customers and also went through some discussions here in thwack.

Finally I managed the task of identifying Trunk vs. Access Ports via Custom Report and manual import of this Report into an Custom Interface Properties column.

Motivation:

With this combination it is possible to use this trunking interface flag e.g. for alerting or to remove non trunking interfaces out of Orion...

trunking-custom-property.png

Space for improvement:

It's not yet perfect, first thing I'd like to see is an automatic way to update the Interface tables custom property fields based on my created report.

Since all information is in database this should be manageable, maybe someone has an idea for that?

Howto:

First, create two Custom Node Pollers.

One reports the table RowID : IsTrunking --> OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.9.3.1.8

Second maps the unique RowID to the well known IfIndex --> OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.4.1.1.11

Then assign same Switches to both pollers.

Pollers done, create a Custom Report gathering the relevant information out of the Poller tables:

SELECT

n.[Caption] Node

, i.[InterfaceName] InterfaceName

, i.[InterfaceIndex] InterfaceIndex

, s2.[Status] TrunkStatus

, s2.[RawStatus] TrunkRawStatus

FROM [Interfaces] i

INNER JOIN [CustomPollerStatus] s1 ON s1.[Status] = i.[InterfaceIndex]

AND s1.[CustomPollerAssignmentID] =

( SELECT CustomPollerAssignmentID FROM [CustomPollerAssignment] a1 WHERE a1.[NodeID] = i.[NodeID]

AND a1.[CustomPollerID] = ( SELECT CustomPollerID FROM [CustomPollers] p1 WHERE p1.[OID] = '1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.4.1.1.11' ) 

)

INNER JOIN [CustomPollerStatus] s2 ON s2.[RowID] = s1.[RowID]

AND s2.[CustomPollerAssignmentID] =

( SELECT CustomPollerAssignmentID FROM [CustomPollerAssignment] a2 WHERE a2.[NodeID] = i.[NodeID]

AND a2.[CustomPollerID] = ( SELECT CustomPollerID FROM [CustomPollers] p2 WHERE p2.[OID] = '1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.9.3.1.8' ) 

)

INNER JOIN [Nodes] AS n ON n.[NodeID] = i.[NodeID]

The report should list all relevant columns for an import with the Custom Properties editor:

solarwinds-sql-trunking-interfaces.png

Now the part, that has to be done frequently when adding new nodes - export this report as .csv file and import the required fields into the Interface Custom Properties column.

solarwinds-custom-props-trunking.png

Choose Import from .csv and follow the wizzard:

customprops-1.png

customprops-2.png

customprops-3.png

done.

Now the criteria can be used for filtering, alerting and all the other fancy Solarwinds stuff...

An automatic way to import Report or any custom Poller or database content into Custom Properties columns would be a nice feature