This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

I've a few questions about things in NOC mode

FormerMember
FormerMember

I'm working on getting the stuff we need and want to see on the NOC display set up to go onto a wall mounted display.  I have a few issues I would prefer to resolve, but I suspect it isn't going to work the way I'd like it to work.  If any of them make sense as feature requests, I will gladly make the request.  Now to my questions.

1. If I have the browser show items at 150% or 200% normal size, is it possible to have the headers and footers stay small while enlarging the info in the resource?  If (as I suspect) this is not possible, is there a way to make the header and footer smaller so that they aren't eating into too much of the scarce screen real estate?

2. Is there a way to have a long resource (e.g. down interfaces) either scroll automatically or perhaps display the top part, then display the next part, and so on until all the parts have been displayed?  Display one part on the first pass through the NOC Views, then display the next part the next time through?

One problem is that while I have various summary pages up on one of my screens most of the day, the NOC views are so other people in the office are able to see things without having to keep Solarwinds open on there machines. Another problem is that my monitor is normally at 1920x1280, but the display that the NOC screens will normally be on is 1280x720.  I wasn't exactly thrilled with how it looked on my display when it was a long resource, but I was really less than thrilled when I checked it out at the lower resolution.

We are running NOM 12.0.1, NTA 4.2.1, and Orion 2016.2.100.

Thanks, in advance, for any information or help.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

I meant NPM 12.0.1.

• I can't answer #1 but have a suggestion for #2. If you are doing the screen swapping between tabs you can make copies of the 'Down Nodes' frame and filter what is displayed on screens 1, 2, 3, etc. such as

Screen 1 down nodes include routers, switches, and AP's,

Screen 2 down nodes include windows servers

Screen 3 down nodes includes DMZ equipment

Get creative emoticons_happy.png

Or

Screen 1 is Retail units

Screen 2 is Warehousing

Screen 3 is Corporate

Good Luck!

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to bobmarley

bobmarley,

I had thought about subdividing by locations, since that would at least give us screen sizes of one display, but hadn't completely decided how to divide a few items up.  Thanks for seconding my viewpoint.

• FormerMember

I have a question about Down Interfaces in the NOC view.  How do I get to where I can edit it to put the SQL query to restrict to certain locations?  I do not see a place to edit the resource in the NOC view and restrict the items displayed. The original resource on the NPM summary page can be edited, the but the one for the NOC view doesn't seem to allow it.  I have administrator privileges, so I'm guessing it may be something that isn't supposed to be editable.  It makes sense since it is a NOC view, so you don't want anyone fiddling with it.

How do I go about cloning the resource from the NPM Summary page, select for the items I want to look at, and then save it out so I can select it for a NOC view? I think I can get the query done, if I can get it to let me clone the resource a few times.

• From the main page go to Settings - All Settings then Manage Views. Make a copy of 'Network Summary Home' then edit that copy and give it a new name then preview it.

There should be a resource on the page called 'Nodes with Problems'. Click the edit button on the top right corner and you will be able to get to the Filter Nodes (SQL)

(You can use the interfaces one also if that's what you want - it works the same way)

Then you can use    Status<>1 AND Caption Like 'yourdevicenamepluswildcard*'

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

You will then be able to clone this resource, add columns, resize columns etc. The only thing to note is that these will populate from the top down and

may scroll off the bottom of the screen if there are lots of things down.

• FormerMember

I have the interfaces showing by using InterfaceName Like statements connected by OR's.  Is there a grouping operator, similar to parentheses, because I would like to take all those InterfaceNames that meet the first group of conditions and then only deal with the ones that are not up (Status<>1), then restrict to only interfaces on certain Nodes/Switches to cut down on the number of lines in each group (described as es-dc*, es-wc*, ms*, bg*, and hs*). By doing that it should get the number of things displayed down to a small number per described group of switches. I admit I'm too used to dealing with queries with languages like perl or python and not enough in only SQL.  It also seems like the filters will only allow restricted SQL, i.e no joins, etc.

Ideally, I'd prefer to choose the group (es-dc*, es-wc*, ms*, bg*, or hs*) first, to restrict locations, then by Status, then by InterfaceName because I will divide the by the groups (representing buildings in our case), then only wanting to see the interfaces with problems.  Would this be better done with custom properties (with which I have no real experience)?

If nothing else, I am getting much more comfortable with the structures - which is a good thing.

I'm also aware that if I have lots of stuff down, it will still run off the bottom of the screen. But we should see the most important things first and by dealing with those, help deal with the other ones as well.

• If you want to use full up SQL you can use Report Writer and make the frame for you report, then use it on your dashboard.

Here is how I did it for a similar solution.

• FormerMember

My preference would be to use the pieces within Solarwinds itself and be able to build it without having to resort to a collection of SQL statements. 

What I started with is:

pastedImage_1.png

I want to break it down into four groups, signifying different locations.  The locations are es-dc, es-wc, ms, and hs, with a switch identified as bg* going in with the hs group.

What I have there is ok, as a good start.  I want to be able to break the one resource into 4 resources and only show the ones that are down (not administratively or shut down). For interfaces,

we have Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, and Ten Gigabit ethernet.

Where I am at now is:

pastedImage_3.png

I want to not show the ones with red x's (administratively down) and I don't want to see the ones that are up here. The above is just a snipping of the larger output, to try to illustrate what I'm getting done and what I want to get done. Right now to get to this point, I have a long set of OR conditions based upon the InterfaceName being one of four test ('es*', 'ms*', 'hs*', or 'bg*') to get them to show here.  If I try to add something like Status <>1, it wants to drop everything.

I was hoping to be able to do a complex condition in one of two forms:

(InterfaceName='es*' OR InterfeaceName='ms*' OR InterfaceName='hs*' OR InterfaceName='bg*') AND Status<>1

or

(InterfaceName='es*' AND Status<>1) OR (InterfaceName='ms*' AND Status<>1) OR (InterfaceName='hs*' AND Status<>1) OR (InterfaceName='bg*' AND Status<>1)

IF there is no way to do this within the confines of the predefined things in Solarwinds, I can deal with that (even oif I don't like it very much).  But I have to think I'm missing something about the combination of the conditions, because it works for the first part of the first one, but if I try to add the status condition, it complains about improperly formed SQL statement.

If I need to RTFM, which manual(s) and which sections.  If this is covered in some of the videos on the website, ok.  I would like to think I'm not the first person who wanted to do something this convoluted, because I think this would be a fairly common thing to do.  If I am the first one, I would think that there would be other users who would like to have something close to the functionality.

Thanks for taking so much time with me, my questions, and my ignorance - which you are helping me to defeat.

• Try this - filling in your own names. You can add as many 'OR's as you want.

This will display interfaces that are down (=2) and not display the ones that are shut down (<>4)

InterfaceName Like '*eth*' OR InterfaceName Like '*port*' AND OperStatus = 2 AND AdminStatus <> 4

The interface variables are here:

pastedImage_1.png

Status ID's

StatusIdStatusName
    0Unknown
    1Up
    2Down
    3Warning
    4Shutdown
    5Testing
    6Dormant
    7NotPresent
    8LowerLayerDown
    9Unmanaged
    10Unplugged
    11External
    12Unreachable
    14Critical
    15PartlyAvailable
    16Misconfigured
    17Undefined
    19Unconfirmed
    22Active
    24Inactive
    25Expired
    26MonitoringDisabled
    27Disabled
    28NotLicensed
    29OtherCategory
    30NotRunning
  • InterfaceName Like '*es*' OR InterfaceName Like '*ms*' OR InterfaceName Like '*hs*' InterfaceName Like '*bg*' AND OperStatus = 2 AND AdminStatus <> 4

If I didn't typo anything emoticons_happy.png