This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

I need to setup up dependencies and alert suppression

I want to minimize alerts on nodes where I can declare the main router of a site - and anything on the subsequent subnet behind it won't alert for latency and packet loss if it the main router is suffering the problem. (if that's the best way to do it)

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

lbrowne

• Do not use "Alert Suppression" feature unless you fully understand what it does. It is a tricky one - search Thwack for more articles explaining how it works

I have awesome solution for creating automated dependencies. It does require some work, but it is worth it - works as a charm once implemented:

Automatic Dependencies Based On Custom Properties (Node Location)

• I basically have several field sites, all of which have a main router. I want to make dependencies where the main router is the parent and the rest of the site nodes are children to it.

However, since the sites are grouped together by field site naturally, it won't let me assign the site as a group to the router of the site - because the router is also part of the group.

Essentially when that router starts triggering alerts - I don't want the rest of the site to do it as well.

BTW - I actually found your article while searching the archives emoticons_happy.png, Cheers

• From the Main screen click on Settings -> Manage Groups

Create a new group called “Site Nodes”

In that group add in all the Nodes for that Site excluding the "main router" (use a Dynamic Query with IP Address)

Save

Create a second group call “Site 1”

In that group add the group “Site Nodes” and the node “main router”

Save

Now you have a structure like this

Site 1

Site Nodes     Main router

nodes

Back under Settings -> Manage Dependencies, Add a new dependency on the “main router” (parent object)

Next

Set the Dependency Name "Site 1 Main Router Dependency Group"

Select the group “Site Nodes” as the “child” object

And you are all set.

Note - if the main router is in the group "Site Nodes" it will tell you that you can't add that object as a child. that is why it needs to be specifically excluded when you create the "Site Nodes" group.

• I have something somewhat similar already done, I created a site group for a specific field site and added all nodes save for the main router.

Then I make a new dependency based on the router being the parent, the existing group of nodes based on the nodes being sorted by a Custom Prop "Site" is then added as a child. Only issue I see and I don't think there's a way around it, is if you add a new node and select the Site name in the Custom Property, it'll go into the group of nodes based on Site for that specific field site, but won't go into the dependency that was created. You would have to add it manually there....

• Also, will these dependencies also suppress High Latency and High Packet loss alerts for nodes behind the router?

• The latest version of Orion sets up "Auto-Dependancies".    If you go into "Polling Settings" and turn on "Enable Auto Dependencies" they should start showing up on your dependencies resource and when you manage dependencies.   Might make your life easier than setting them manually?

• Just to clarify on that - this will require "Location" to be configured correctly on every SNMP device and this will only work with SNMP devices for now.

• Not very device in this environment has snmp configured on it, and isn't standard across the board for those that do. It's something that would be great to tackle and implement in part with your detailed procedure but it's out of my scope for the project I'm doing for them. I'll certainly show what's possible once they get to that stage. emoticons_happy.png

• I could give it a retry - I'd like for the dependencies to be site name specific and easy for support staff here to navigate through.

Will I lose the ones I created by doing this?

• Question for you as I ran into this this morning - it appears my dependencies are working from a quick glance however, sites that have 2 routers are allowing alerts to flow through the router that's not the parent.

Is the only way around this for say, Site A, is to create a secondary Site A dependency group with all the same child nodes and the secondary router as the Parent?

Would rather not have 2 dependency group for each site. (which would be several)