This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

I'd like to send a configuration change script only to all nodes managed by one poller. But NPM can't send config changes, and NCM can't sort by poller. Is there a simple way to do this?

When I to go NCM Config Management, I can sort by many things to show the devices I want to change.  But I can't sort them by Polling Engine, and therefore it seems I must manually add the nodes to be modified, after viewing those managed by a a particular polling engine from a separate window.  Certainly inconvenient.

Similarly, when I go to Manage All Nodes, I can easily sort them by Polling Engine, and see all that are managed by each Polling Engine.  But there is no option to push a configuration script to all of them, other than going back into NCM and selecting them manually.

How would you try to achieve this goal?  Is this simply a Feature Request?  Or can I do something creative with SDK and SWQL?

• I think I handled this once by creating a custom property to which I mirrored the nodes poller number.  Between custom property directly or a indirectly by a group that is populated dynamically by custom property, one of these may work for you.  Unless these feel like too much of a workaround. (Sometimes today's workaround looks familiar as tomorrow's native functionality--like when groups didn't exist a long time ago.)

• I also use customer properties for this reason. 

M1_Poller - Tells me which poller this should be assigned to and not which one it is currently on.  Helps me make sure I got my nodes and poller assignment straight.

M2_Method - Tells me the how the node should be polled and by which set of credentials.  Variables are Agent, ICMP, WMI, SNMPv3-01, SNMPv3-02, etc.

I like using the "M" because it also helps with the sorting and alphabetizing in the lists.  You know me, I like my lists neat and organized.

Eric

• Uff da!  I was hoping not to have to modify something on every node.

Honestly, NPM and NCM should do this sorting right out of the box.

Thank you for you response, d09h

• Thank you for your response, CourtesyIT​.

It's more than I wanted to do--modifying every node.  But it does represent a work-around for something I think is a complete miss on Solarwinds' part for NPM or NCM.

• Two ways you might approach this, in the GUI you can go to manage nodes, group by polling engine, select all the  nodes on any given poller and set your property to match, or you can do it in SQL (you could do the API too but this is such a simple change I would just go straight to the db manager).  I'm not in my lab right now but I believe this should do it.

update n

set n.comments = e.servername

from nodes n

join engines e on e.engineid=n.engineid

this assumes you have a custom property called comments and you aren't using it for anything else right now.  You are free to use whatever property you like though.