This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Huge Logs generated by Orion Modules

Hi!

What is being done to stop the creation of logs by various Orion modules?

VIM, UDT, WPM and recently C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds\Collector\StreamedResults

We're constantly on the lookout to make sure that our servers won't crach due to insufficient disk space.

Support tells us we need to install a hotfix. Hotfix doesn't solve the issue. Support then tells us to Upgrade to next version of NPM.

Does anyone understand the importance of this issue and is anything being done to stop this from ever happening again?

Is this a "feature" or a bug, and is it going to be pushed endlessly into the coming module versions.?

Sigh.

• Hi Deltona‌ are they logs or temporary files that are created under this folder ? do you see multiple file names under it ? When I say multiple do you know which one's are for VIM/UDT & WPM ?

• From what I understand , C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds\Collector\StreamedResults <- files created under this folder are temp files, when size on msmq is at max streamed files are created (which holds polling data in temp files) , you might want to increase the size of your msmq or you might want to improve your polling plan (when i say improve polling plan , best example would be esx servers and vm's - keep all your vm's on the same poller as your esx , if you add esx server onto poller 1 all vm's related to that esx have to be added onto the same poller)

• Hi Vinay,

Thanks for the swift reply. I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, I really do appreciate your help, but what I really want is to avoid micromanagement of these type of issues when they occur on our systems, which is rather frequent.

I shouldn't be concentrating on fixing this, endlessly, on every single update. I am expecting this to be handled before the vNext software is released.

On this particular setup we have 5 polling engines, monitoring thousands of VMs among thousands and thousands of other things. I really can't be bothered to start shifting resources around to make it all work, not when I know it has been working before. All i am certain of is that SolarWinds software is creating these files (logs/temp files/who knows) which is causing the systems to crash. Increasing MSMQ will only prolong the inevitable.

We need this to be addressed or at least, have someone with a sense of urgency confirm what to expect in the future.

• I know this is an old post, yet, I wonder if this was ever resolved.   I believe I had the same issue years ago.  I moved MSMQ to a dedicated volume and gave it much more space than it should ever require.  After a specific SolarWinds patch long ago, I thought this issue had been fixed.  Recently I have been having issues with SolarWinds Orion and today I now see that the volume I moved MSMQ to is full.   I rebooted and doubled the size of the volume; however, as you pointed out, extending the size of the volume only delays the inevitable.  

Thank you,

Edwin