This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to turn off topology monitoring

Since my ugrade to NPM 10.3.1, I have noticed that nodes are being polled for topology information.  (layer 2 and layer 3)

This is information that I do not need to poll for and would like to turn off polling for.

Is there a way I can do this without having to edit each and every node that I am polling?

Thanks.

lll

• Is topology collection causing issue? I strongly suggest you keep it on as we will continue to build out this functionality and start to incorporate it in other areas of the product. We were collecting topology prior to NPM 10.3.1. In fact, the 10.3.1 service release has some work to minimize the polling impact on the node from the topology collection.

There are basically two options:

1. Prolong topology poll interval (use multi-edit nodes in node management to change topology poll interval to max value, which is 1 day) - this will greatly reduce the load but will still allow you to have the topology data.

2. Use SQL statement to manually delete all topology poller assignments for all nodes. Directly modifying your database is not recommended and I strongly suggest you create a backup prior to making the change.

DELETE FROM Pollers WHERE PollerType LIKE 'N.Topology%'

• I would like to echo the OP. There needs to be a way to globally enable/disable topology. At the very least a way to enable/disable multiple nodes at once.

• This issue has been around since 10.2 introduction, has a fix been made in the meantime? Is this fixed or is there a way to enable/disable this on multiple nodes or to enable/disable this global?

Is the fix or feature available in NPM 10.4?

Otherwise is there an enhancement request for this feature to be build in in new releases? If so, please let me know the ER number.

• Unfortunately this was not addressed in NPM 10.4. The work we are planning in the next release includes additional topology work and I have opened 196061 to consider implementing global options to disable topology collection and to allow users to change the default to not collect topology. The default would likely remain the same, collect topology information if available.

• I need the ability to turn this off QUICKLY.  I hate the idea of having to go into SQL and DELETE entries.

We are an oil and gas field and there are several devices in the field that have limited resources on their IP connection, and since solarwinds has been doing L2 and then L3 topology discovery we've noticed most of these devices connection lists are getting full and not allowing new connections to the box until it is power cycled.

• It is possible to prolong Topology polling interval to 32767 minutes that means 22.75 days.

• In my NPM 10.3.1 max Topology interval can be set to 1440 minutes, means 1 day.

• Sorry you are right. From 10.4 user can set to 32767 minutes that means 22.75 days.

• Is there a way to globally disable topology polling in NPM 11.0?

• Under Settings->Manage Pollers you can bulk-disable pollers assigned to nodes