This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to trigger an Alert based on Trap details?

I've been googling around for a while now but can't seem to find a proper guide on what I'm trying to achieve.

To put it concisely, I want to create a ServiceNow incident when I receive a trap from our IPAM system with a specific Severity level.

I was thinking of achieving this by triggering an alert based on the trap details and as a Trigger Action have the alert raise a ServiceNow incident.

The integration with ServiceNow is already configured and working for out-of-the-box alerts, so no help is needed there.

I've setup NPM so that I receive traps from our IPAM system. These look like this.

pastedImage_0.png

Based on the value of enterprises.21343.3.1.3.1.1.1.3 = 1 I would like to trigger an alert, as this indicates the severity of the trap. (where 1 is Informational, 2 is a Warning and 3 is an Error)

I'd like to trigger the alert when this value is either 2 or 3.

I've read here and there that this could be achieved triggering on Custom SQL Alert, but that's where I get stuck.

pastedImage_4.png

I'm kinda lost on what to write here. I've had some basic SQL experience in the past, but can't find any info on how to tackle this in NPM.

Next I'd also like to populate the ServiceNow title and description with info from the trap details, but that doesn't need to be solved now.

If you need to know any more details, please let me know and I'll be happy to supply them.