This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to setup a SNMP Trap Alert for a group of Traps?

I am curious if there is a good way to setup an SNMP Trap alert for a specified group of Traps.

For example I want to know if I receive any of the Compaq (now HP) drive array status changes are received.  There are a bunch of traps in this category of traps and I would prefer to not have to specify each and every one.

Is this possible?

P.S.  The Compaq Environmental traps are another group I would be interested in doing this with as any of these changes are important to know about as well.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

• byrona-

You should be able to use a custom property to group the traps, then create an alert based on that custom property.  This thread discusses this very topic.  Hope this helps.

BTW, love your avatar.  Falcor rules!

-Craig

• Thanks for the compliment on the Avatar!

While this isn't exactly the solution for what I am trying to accomplish it gave me some ideas on how to solve a different problem I was facing so it was still helpful.

I ended up figuring out my answer...

What I wanted was a way to seutp a single SNMP Trap Alert Rule that would capture all of the traps below a specified section in an SNMP MIB tree.

One example would be to trigger an alert on any of the Compaq traps which are typically things that I wanted to know about.  I was able to accomplish this by specifying the first half of the condition to be "TrapEnterprise is equal to" followed by the specific enterprise I was interested in, Compaq in this case.

Below is a screenshot of the alert condition...

• Thanks for posting the screenshot, Byron!  Glad you got it figured out.

-Craig