This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to set alerts on Custom UNDP poller status?

I'm trying to monitor the status of hardware on some HP servers.  I've found these pollers: HP Proliant Server Custom Pollers and was able to get the pollers set up.  It's not easy to actually view them as the Current Poller Status apparently has too many statuses to show

Solarwinds1.PNG

And then clicking on the Drive_Status can't be displayed the way it wants to:

Solarwinds2.PNG

I'd like to be able to more easily view that status, but even without, it does appear that it is pulling legitimate data, so all I really need is a way to alert off of the poller status.

My problem is when I go to add new alert, I can't seem to find a way to actually check for the appropriate values.  I found the Custom Poller ID by grabbing it from the URL when I'm on the page that I took the screenshot above from.  I've also found that I can use the Custom Node Poller Unique Name.  That part appears to be working because if I only check for only that, then it would generate 1 alert (I only have the poller on one server currently).  If I try to add an AND for the Custom Node Poller Current Value I don't seem to be getting the right kind of info, so I feel like that is not the correct way of querying.  The only listed values it shows are numbers.  The poller itself lists current status as OK.  I tried using that as a value anyway, but I get no matches, which indicates that I don't have it put in correctly.  Anyone know how one might implement this?  I'm also looking to use some variables in the alert about poller information, but my first step is to properly configure the alert.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

• Your problem is that this is polling a table, and you are using resources geared toward single value pollers.  On the view where you had the Custom Poller Status resource add in a Tabular Universal Device Poller and set it to display one of those pollers and you should get something a little more useful.

In terms of alerting you also need to be alerting on Custom Table Poller Status, see if you can get it working from there.

-Marc Netterfield

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

• After the original post, I did begin to experiment with alerting on 'Custom Table Poller Current Status'.  I felt like I was getting a bit closer, but I'm still not able to narrow down the alerts properly.  I've been out for a few days, but just took a look at your post and was able to properly get the views displaying useful information.  (Big thanks for that)  I didn't realize that there was a difference between the two, but it is now becoming more clear.  Also, since then, as I expected, one of the drives has failed, so I now have the value that I need to base at least part of my alerts off of.  See this screenshot showing the poller data for the server with a failed drive:

solarwinds3.PNG

It appears that a failed drive shows status of '3'.  I confirmed this by using the HP Array Config Utility (ACU) and indeed the failed drive is in bay 6.  This means that I need to set my alert on a Drive_Status value of 3.  What I'm now working on, is how to set the alert based on the value/status of 3 on that specific column (Drive_Status).  If I set the trigger conditions to the specific node with a failed drive AND Custom Table Poller Current Status _ Current Value _ is equal to _ 3, there are 4 objects alerted on.  Looking at all the tables I have created, I can see that also matches one of the drive bays, a temperature location (another poller type), and then another value that I haven't even matched up (or at least am not looking at).  How to I narrow down the alert to only look at the column that I want?  (I assume since it is 'tabular' poller data that I need to analyze it by columns.)

• So snmp get Tables actually always only have a single column, in this case I assume you have checked the box for 3-4 OID's to build that table you have there.  You would need to build your alert condition to look for something like status=3 and poller name to whichever custom poller specifically looks for drive status. 

• I have the status=3 part (custom table poller current status Current Value is = 3).  What I can't seem to get is the specific poller that looks for drive status.  I can trigger based on 'Custom Poller Assignment ID', but I can't seem to find a way to determine what Assignment IDs relate to.  There are a bunch of pre-existing values (if you click in the value box), but I can't tell what they actually correspond to.  Also, at this point I'm not sure if they are a 1:1 for poller to node or if that value would match for any node that has the poller assigned.  Is there any way to actually figure out what the poller ID is?  I tried going into the Orion Universal Device Poller software on my Solarwinds server, but all I can find is the OID which doesn't seem to help.

solarwinds5.PNG

• I think this is how you want to configure your alert:

Alert.png

• YESS!!  This is it.  With what you put in there and curent value = 3  I'm able to actually get the correct values I'm looking for! (Oh and look another failed drive).  It's funny.  Once you see it once, it's pretty simple.  I'm setting up a PSU alert now too.  Also, if anyone happens to search for this later on, if you go into the UDP software on the Orion server and look up these pollers in the description you can get precise values and their meanings.  I may end up tweaking the alert to be != 2 so that if anything goes into a warning or a predictive failure I'll get an alert too.  Example description:

Physical Drive Status. This shows the status of the physical drive. The following values are valid for the physical drive status: other (1) Indicates that the instrument agent does not recognize the drive. You may need to upgrade your instrument agent and/or driver software. ok (2) Indicates the drive is functioning properly. failed (3) Indicates that the drive is no longer operating and should be replaced. predictiveFailure(4) Indicates that the drive has a predictive failure error and should be replaced.

The only real problem I have now is making the email alert have more useful data, but that is more of a luxury than a necessity, really.  I assume that in order to do so I'd need to create a SQL/SWSQL statement to get related data.  I'll leave that part for another time.

• In this case i need to attach all the pollers name and poller value in alert action how i can do that ?