This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to read Solarwinds Bandwidth Monitor

I've recently started using the SolarWinds Bandwidth Monitor to keep track of a long standing problem we've been having with our internet connection.  Before starting to run this my monitoring has consisted of ping -t on the IP that I believe represents our modem and the IP for the first Time Warner server hop to anywhere.  At irregular times of day and for irregular intervals the ping will spike dramatically, we're talking 1-3 seconds and timing out.  In order to better monitor what is happening I have tried several bandwidth monitors.  I haven't been especially happy with any of them for my very specific needs, but SolarWinds has a very friendly graphical display, or it would be if I had any idea what I was specifically looking at.

I have it monitoring the router.  I had the option of eth0 and eth1 which were both showing activity.  eth0 shows activty in Traffic Out and eth1 shows activity in Traffic In.  They're identical, just opposite.  Unfortunately I really don't know what, specifically, it is or is referencing.  Since they show the same information, just flipped I chose to only monitor eth0.

During normal activity Traffic In hangs out very close to 0 bps.  Traffic Out is always above Traffic In, running a jagged line that peaks around 1.3 or 1.4 Mbps.  On my command prompt ping -ts this comes out as a consistently flow of 9-15ms to both IPs.  During a spike Traffic In jumps to 1.1-1.3 Mbps and Traffic Out drops down below that to close to 0 consistently without any, or only occasional, spikes.  Again, I don't know what it means, but it happens every time the ping times out.

• One thing you MUST take into consideration is the speed of your internet connection on the router, and the speed of the interface.  Unless you specifically adjust those settings, you will get false information. For example, if your internet speed is only 250 Meg, and your interface is a Gigabit interface, well..

Another thing to remember is that PING is a great diagnostic tool - but its very limited. ICMP is one the lowest priorities for the network stack to process, so if your box is loaded up, you may get high response times or even time outs because the device is busy.  I have seen this with our ISP.

• I'll keep that in mind, but I'm more concerned with specifically what the Bandwidth Monitor is showing me.  More than anything I wish I knew which port eth0 even was on my router.

If I'm interpreting the information correctly, Traffic In is the upload and Traffic Out is the download.  That would seem to indicate that eth0 is the port the switch is plugged into, rather than the WAN port.  I find this weird, though, since that would imply that eth1 is the WAN port since it was the reverse.  Traffic In caps out at 1.3 Mbps, which is what our speedtest results show.  Traffic Out caps out at around 17 Mbps.

Whenever I show consistent timeouts I show Traffic In capping and Traffic Out just dead.  So nothing is being downloaded, while upload is choked.  I just don't know what it means, why it's happening, or how to track down the cause.