This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to monitor a remote isolated network?

I need to monitor devices that are connecting to a service providers network, but they will not allow us direct access to pull SNMP. We need to see real-time info and I am looking for options. The SP is running SolarWinds and they are willing to *kind* of work with us. Is there any way to configure SolarWinds to forward the info it is pulling to our servers? Or does anyone have any other suggestions on how I can get access to the data? SNMP forwarding? SNMP Proxy forwarding?

Thanks

• Do you have your own instance of Orion or are you trying to import Orion data into some completely different monitoring tool?  Orion doesn't have any built in functions to proxy all the data it collects to anything, but there is an API that they might give you access to poll for reporting.  It could be possible for them to set you up an account with limitations so you only had access to the relevant systems and allow you to just query whatever you wanted from their system, but it will be pretty hard to learn how to structure your queries unless you had an instance of Orion with real data to play with and learn the SWQL syntax for what you need.

• Mesverrum, we also have our own instance of Orion. To make sure I understand your answer, you are suggesting that they make us an account with limited access to only our devices and then we would poll their Orion for the info? Would I use a custom poller in our Orion for that? I have some experience with SWQL and making custom pollers.

Thanks

• I would have the make a custom account and query the data I needed directly from their system for reporting and such using the API and some powershell scripts, but thats because I'm pretty strong in PoSH and the API.  There may be other methods that could work to give you some visibility into their system.

• I have found this here SNMP Proxy Forwarder — SNMP Proxy Forwarder 0.4.1 documentation  I haven’t tested this,  however it might be worth a try.

• I think you can’t write performance values into the database via the api. So I am almost confident that you can’t “combine” your existing Orion with your SP’s Orion. However you can pull data from your SPs Orion and display it “somehow”.

• If they cannot allow direct access then option of having real time is doubtful according to me.... If they can send traps then u can capture them and convert those into alerts...

In most of the cases, Service Provider connected devices are only monitored for availability as there will be limited access....

• Update on this... after several discussions with the SP they agreed to allow us to poll a bridgehead server via SNMP. I set up some universal device pollers to poll the custom MIB they made for me and it is all working now.

Thanks for the suggestions.