This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to make use of a MIB file exported from a device?

To find particular values I'd like to monitor on a device what I'd usually do is perform a MIB walk using the MIB walk tool in NPM. However the output from a MIB walk is usually difficult to read or make sense of because the OID's names are never particularly intuitive or readable so what I end up doing is doing is - say for example I was looking to find concurrent users on a remote access platform I would dig out OID's that contain the word users in their name and then cross reference against what the owner of the remote access platform can see from their GUI when we poll an OID that returns a value that matches what the rem access platform is displaying we'd usually go for that. After again cross referencing the two values a few times we can safely say we're using the the right OID. Also this can be confirmed by the fact that if the particular OID is known to the Solarwinds MIB database it'll be able to provide a description when I add it to the universal device poller as a new custom poller.

I am often given a MIB export from a colleagues device which looks like this...

iveCpuUtil OBJECT-TYPE

SYNTAX Gauge32

MAX-ACCESS read-only

STATUS current

DESCRIPTION 

"The CPU Utilization of the IVE system"

::= { pulsesecure-gateway 10 }

iveMemoryUtil OBJECT-TYPE

SYNTAX Gauge32

MAX-ACCESS read-only

STATUS current

DESCRIPTION 

"The Memory Utilization of the IVE system"

::= { pulsesecure-gateway 11 }

iveConcurrentUsers OBJECT-TYPE

SYNTAX Gauge32

MAX-ACCESS read-only

STATUS current

DESCRIPTION 

"The Total number of Concurrent user Licenses used for the IVE Node"

::= { pulsesecure-gateway 12 }

clusterConcurrentUsers OBJECT-TYPE

SYNTAX       Gauge32

MAX-ACCESS read-only

STATUS current

DESCRIPTION 

"The Total number of Concurrent user Licenses used for the Cluster"

::= { pulsesecure-gateway 13 }

What do I do with this? There's no OID's and these maybe seem to me to be SNMP Trap types? Is there any way I can make use of these in Solarwinds? Thanks in advance would love to hear from someone who is making use of such files with Solarwinds