This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to make Top XX Interfaces by % Utilization more realtime

FormerMember
FormerMember

Using Orion NPM 9.5 SP5.

On my Home view, I have the Top XX Interfaces by Percent Utilization list and it displays very well.  However, I have noted that it appears to show me the max % utilization for the interface over about the last 15 minutes.  Therefore, I continue to see interfaces jump to high utilization and stay on the list as high for an extended amount of time when in fact the utilization was high for a poll or two and then dropped way down.

Is there a way of making this more of a real time view?  I realize that it has a lot to do with the collection frequency but I am collecting statistics every 3 minutes and the % utilization appears to be working in conjunction with the Netflow Traffic Analysis with a time element of 15 minutes.

Thanks for any assitance in advance!

• Hi gkeel,

The NPM interface utilization and NTA utilization come from seperate data sources, SNMP polling and NTA exports. If they look about the same this is good news as it means two data sources agree. I don't think there is an issue.

Andy

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to mcbridea

You are correct.  I am not sure what the Top Interfaces by Percent Utilization uses but it appears to be a peak usage over some period of time.  I will see an interface go to a high % receive and stay there for a long period of time.  When I check the circuit itself, I see that it did peak out there but fell back after a short time.  So when I am monitoring circuits seeing one that appears to be really high for a long period of time becomes very deceiving often requiring a lot of investigation only to find it was really only a brief spike.

What I would like is to narrow the time period that is being covered in the Top XX Interfaces by % Utilization.