cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

How to get data from a report into NOC

Jump to solution

Hi everyone - I've got a question about getting relevant information into my NOC view for a service desk.

I've got a number of virtual servers that I'm monitoring. I can get volume information, and application monitor views, but when it comes to CPU utilisation, the resources I have available to me aren't very accurate and don't give a good indication of how much load the VM is experiencing. I really want load averages so I can see if a server is being overworked or is having an issue.

In the reporting section of Orion, I can run a report called "High VM CPU Utilization - Hour" which shows me the average CPU utilisation for the past hour on all my VMs where that average load is over 60%. How can I convert this value into something I can display in an NOC, and update it every 10 minutes?

I have a feeling that the figures reported here are far more accurate than the "Top 10" resources in the standard NOC views menu creation options.

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

Cheers,

Gareth

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

This is fairly rough, and if I had the time I would make it cleaner but it should at least get you started:

SELECT

vm.Name AS [Name]

,vm.DetailsUrl AS [_LinkFor_Name]

,CONCAT(ROUND(AVG(vm.VMStatistics.AvgCPULoad),2),' %') AS [AVG CPU Load]

,CONCAT(ROUND(vm.MemUsage,2), ' %') AS [Memory Usage]

,CONCAT(ROUND(vm.CpuLoad,2), ' %') AS [CPU Load]

,vm.Host.HostName AS [ESX Host]

,vm.Host.DetailsUrl AS [_LinkFor_ESX Host]

,vm.Host.Cluster.DisplayName AS [Cluster]

,vm.Host.DataCenter.DisplayName AS [DataCenter]

,vm.Host.DataCenter.DetailsUrl AS [_LinkFor_DataCenter]

FROM Orion.VIM.VirtualMachines vm

WHERE vm.GuestState = 'Running'

GROUP BY vm.Name, vm.MemUsage, vm.CpuLoad, vm.Host.HostName, vm.Host.Cluster.DisplayName, vm.Host.DataCenter.DisplayName, vm.Host.DetailsUrl, vm.Host.DataCenter.DetailsUrl, vm.DetailsUrl

Although I suspect that a Custom Table might look cleaner I will have to test it. Take out the Cluster / DataCenter as applicable.

- David Smith

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Thanks David,

This has been really helpful.

Cheers

0 Kudos

If the table from the report is something useful that would be beneficial to the NOC Team then I would suggest adding a Custom Table to your Dashboard and using the exact same formatting / Datasource that you have defined in your report. The report just contains a custom table.

- David Smith
Level 16

Have you tried doing this in Pefstack? or do you have Virtualization Manager?

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

Hi neomatrix

Thanks for this, I need to show this information for around 55 VMs on one screen - is there a way to just display the VM name and the percentages, without the line graph? I've tried doing a custom table, but this doesn't really highlight when CPU usage is high, it just lists the CPU usage of specified VMs.

Cheers,

Gareth

0 Kudos

Hi David,

That sounds more like what I want to do - don't suppose you've got any links to resources on how to achieve this?

Regards,

Gareth

0 Kudos

This is fairly rough, and if I had the time I would make it cleaner but it should at least get you started:

SELECT

vm.Name AS [Name]

,vm.DetailsUrl AS [_LinkFor_Name]

,CONCAT(ROUND(AVG(vm.VMStatistics.AvgCPULoad),2),' %') AS [AVG CPU Load]

,CONCAT(ROUND(vm.MemUsage,2), ' %') AS [Memory Usage]

,CONCAT(ROUND(vm.CpuLoad,2), ' %') AS [CPU Load]

,vm.Host.HostName AS [ESX Host]

,vm.Host.DetailsUrl AS [_LinkFor_ESX Host]

,vm.Host.Cluster.DisplayName AS [Cluster]

,vm.Host.DataCenter.DisplayName AS [DataCenter]

,vm.Host.DataCenter.DetailsUrl AS [_LinkFor_DataCenter]

FROM Orion.VIM.VirtualMachines vm

WHERE vm.GuestState = 'Running'

GROUP BY vm.Name, vm.MemUsage, vm.CpuLoad, vm.Host.HostName, vm.Host.Cluster.DisplayName, vm.Host.DataCenter.DisplayName, vm.Host.DetailsUrl, vm.Host.DataCenter.DetailsUrl, vm.DetailsUrl

Although I suspect that a Custom Table might look cleaner I will have to test it. Take out the Cluster / DataCenter as applicable.

- David Smith

View solution in original post

Level 16

Just edit the page and select add widget.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos

Hi Gareth,

A custom table or Custom Query would be your best result - you just need to tune your data source or use SQL/SWQL. What exactly do you want the table to look like?

VM Name     |     Last Hour AVG     |     Memory Usage     |     CPU Load

If you used Custom SQL/SWQL you could use a Case statement that changes a status indicator from Red/Yellow/Green depending on the threshold you have set or you could show the Warning/Critical icon if the CPU has reached a certain value or simply sort by the highest at the top!

- David Smith
0 Kudos