This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to get alerts for failed hard drives

does someone know how to get alerts for failed hard drives? I have physical servers along with vmware and hard drives on SANs specifically compellent, EVA, and Netapp.

• Hi krfitzgerald,

Do you have Storage Manager? In Storage Manager, the Physical Disks report for the storage array shows the status. You can setup a Threshold rule --> Section - Storage Array , Category - Disk Drive Asset , Condition Operation Status to get alerts on failed drives.   In Storage Manager 5.2.4, there is a default rule (see: Default Rule - SAN Disk Operational Status). It should work for Dell Compellent and HP EVA arrays. You need to make sure to include the rule in an SMI-S policy and push out the config to your monitoring agent.  For NetApp, you can create an Asset Change rule (see: NetApp - Category Disks - Property - Disk Status) .  It will create an alert if there any changes in disk status. 

Hope that helps!

• I do not have storage manager. I did create a custom poller that shows me the status of the disks in my netapp but I don't see where I can setup the alert for it. Is there an easier way?

• You will need to create an advanced alert for a Custom Poller.  There is an option for that in the alert type drop down when you go to create the alert.