Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

How to gather "show tech" info from Cisco switch based on threshold

Jump to solution

_alHello All,

I'm trying to find a way to gather "show tech" info from a group of Cisco switches once they reach a certain cpu utilization threshold. I know I can set up an advanced alert in NPM, and select a Triggered Action-->External Program, but I'm not that handy with writing scripts. Is there a simpler way to do this with NPM and NCM?

We have Catalyst 4500 model switches that randomly have very high cpu conditions that only clear with a reboot, so we are trying to capture the state of the switch ("show tech" output) when the condition occurs. 

Thanks!

DW

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Dave,

I think you are correct there -- once you install NCM you'll have the option:

orion_execute_ncm_action.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Level 13

Hi DW,

Just a sidenote here --  you should keep in mind that running show-tech is a CPU intensive process, so running this while your CPU is pegged could potentially compound the issue.   I would pare it back a little and set your script to grab a copy of 'show proc' or 'show platform health' instead, but that's up to you.

As to how to do this, NPM has the option to execute an NCM action as a trigger action.  I think you just need to choose this item as your trigger action, then enter your config script elements and you should be set.

Good luck!

Brandon

Brandon,

I don't see "execute an NPM action" listed as an option, but I haven't installed NCM yet. Are you saying that I will have this as an option once NCM is installed? Thanks.

Dave

0 Kudos

Dave,

I think you are correct there -- once you install NCM you'll have the option:

orion_execute_ncm_action.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Thanks Brandon! This is EXACTLY what I need! --Dave

0 Kudos