This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to ensure ALL current and future drives/volumns are monitored?

Problem: DBAs love to add/change drives and drive configuration on the fly without anything resembling Change Management and then blame us when a drive fills up/fails.

Question: How can we ensure that any new drive/volume additions are included in monitoring?

It would seem that selecting "All Volumes", then deselecting selected items, that future added disks would be included... yes?

Example here setting up a new node Resources to monitor: 

pastedImage_0.png

• I really, really, really with this was built in functionality.  I believe finding "dead/changed" interfaces has been added to the newest versions of NPM, but not volumes emoticons_sad.png

I've seen this question asked before on the forums, and the only answer I personally have is still mostly a manual process:

1. To find new volumes: To run the network discoveries over every so often and manually add any new volumes found

2. To find volumes that "are no longer there": I have a custom report with this SWQL as the "data source".  I run it daily.  When the report returns results,  I go into "manage nodes" and delete the grey/"no longer present" volume.  Usually when a volume disappears from a node a "new one" was added to the node (as Orion sees it, even if it has the same drive letter) so I then I add any new volumes as well. I go to the node and do a "list resources" (may have to "force refresh" as it caches the old resource list) and add any new volumes.

The SWQL query I use is:

SELECT NodeID, VolumeID, Caption,StatusIcon, Type, Responding, FullName, LastSync, VolumeType, VolumeDescription

FROM Orion.Volumes

where Responding = 'N'

and StatusIcon like 'Down%'

order by NodeID