This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to create an alert for new device connected to network

Hi All, newbie here.

I'm looking for a way to get Orion NPM to alert me if a new device is connected to my network, it feels like all the tools are there within NPM but I can't find how to do it.

Thank for any advice in advance.

• Hi,

you probably mean when Node becomes "up" correct? You can use our Alert Manager (go to Windows start menu -> Solarwinds Orion -> Alerting and Reporting -> Alert Manager) where you can easily define an alert when node becomes available/in UP state.

let me know if that helps.

thanks,

Michal

• Hi There,

If you are looking for something which alerts when a completely new device connects to your network then I think you need to focus on alerting based on MAC addresses. You could get MAC address information from your DHCP logs or from a SPAN port connected to your core switch(es) which will pick up on the devices DHCP requests which are broadcast out.

Is this the type of alert that you are looking for?

Darragh

• Hi and thanks for your reply.

That is the type of alert I am thinking of, is there any collection of MAC addresses in NPM that I could use?

• There is MAC info in NPM but it would be fairly static as far as I know, you scan the network, decide what to monitor and it does its thing. Even if it scanned the network every X mins there is a chance it would miss something new which was only plugged in for a few minutes.

Maybe an option is the log and event manager application which would look at your DHCP logs. I am not an expert on this product so maybe someone else from the community could comment?

I have seen what you are looking for in action, the company where I work developed a DPI system which connects to a SPAN port and keeps a log of all MAC addresses. When a new one is detected an alert is generated.

Darragh