cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 10

How to configure snmp on a cisco 2900 switch

I'm trying to add a cisco 2900 to solarwinds. I have created a RO community string but the test still fails in solarwinds when I try to add the switch. What else do I need to do? I'm a little new to cisco conifgs.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
27 Replies
Level 8

Hi

a script that can send an sms (message by phone) during an alert
I do not use and I can not use the software Orion NCM Web Console Is there another solution that allows you to do what I seen

Can you give me more information on Solarwinds Alert Manager (win32 app) on the use of script and receiving sms message by phone thank you

Bilel

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

bilel,

I have answered you on this same question here.  Please keep your questions limited to a single thread.

Thank you,

Danielle

0 Kudos
Level 9

By the way you can't telnet to 161 to check access - SNMP uses UDP and the telnet command attempts to make a TCP connection.

You could conceivably telnet from the router to SolarWinds on 162 to see of the trap port is open in that direction.

<< This (TCP/162) doesn't seem to work for SOLARWINDS as it doesn't seem to have TCP/162 open. Other SNMP servers may have use TCP/162, however. Use of UDP for SNMP traffic is much more common than TCP>>

0 Kudos
Level 8

Heres what i add to my 2921's

snmp-server community public RO

snmp-server enable traps

snmp-server host <ip> version 2c public

What does your PM config look like?

0 Kudos

I tried entering this:

User Access Verification

Password:
switch>enable
Password:
INTSW#config t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
switch(config)#snmp-server community "string" ro
switch(config)#snmp-server enable traps
switch(config)#snmp-server host x.x.x.x version 2c "string"

switch(config)#

whats the PM?

0 Kudos

Go to Manage Nodes, then click on Add Node, and you will get this screen:

addnode.png

Put your IP address where the red arrow is pointing to, and click on the Test button where the green arrow is.  If you don't get a successful message, then you need to check the connectivity between your Orion server and your device.

0 Kudos

this is what i did. I'm able to ping the device from my orion server.

0 Kudos

Then check your firewall settings and/or access lists on the device.

0 Kudos

how do I check access lists?

0 Kudos

Before you do that, try this:  go to the SolarWinds server.  Run "c:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\snmpwalk.exe".  Put in your IP address, then click Scan.  Do you get any results?

0 Kudos

I ran the snmp walk and recieved no results.

I tried to telnet to the switch on port 161 from a laptop plugged directly into the switch and it would not connect. So I do not think it's my firewall either. How do I print the access lists?

0 Kudos

I entered show access-lists and did not get any output.

0 Kudos

Did you change the community string from "public" to something else?  I was assuming you were using "public", but if you weren't, you would need to enter that string when you run the snmpwalk.

0 Kudos

I did change the string to something else and I also changed the string in the snmp walk

0 Kudos

I'm sure there is a simple answer to this, but I can't see it right now.  Sorry.

0 Kudos

I was hoping for a simple answer thanks for helping. do you have any more ideas?

0 Kudos

Do you have an access list filtering SNMP to/from the device?

0 Kudos

possibly, I just discovered this device was here yesterday. How do I check the access list?

0 Kudos

First see if you have any - do "show access-list" and/or "show ip access-list".

If they exist, then you have to see if they are applied and to which interface.

You can do a "show run interface Fast 0/0" (or similar depending on what interfaces you have)" to see if you have an "access-group" applied.

There is another way of applying an access list directly to SNMP but from what you described above, you have not done that.

0 Kudos