This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to Import Enterprise MIB File?

FormerMember
FormerMember
What is the procedure for adding an enterprise MIB into Orion?

I need to monitor a device whose enterprise mib is not included in Orion 8.0.113, and I can't find any instructions for adding a mib.

Thanks.
  • I would like to know this also. How to add additional MIBs to Orion that are not included. How can this be done? I would like to do some custom polling but I'm unable to do so because the MIB is not in the Orion MIB DB.
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember
    For the Custom MIB Poller, you don't have to import the MIB. You can just paste the exact OID into the Custom MIB Poller UI when you go to browse the database.

Please also send us the MIB files so we can add them to our MIB database.

Denny LeCompte
    Sr. Product Manager, Orion
    SolarWinds
  • I need to add mibs for Adtran mux and Avaya. Is the only way to add them to Orion to send them to you? Orion asks for XML files for import. Vendors provide MIBs in .MIB format.

Who do I send them to? What Email? I have .mib files and need to add them to the database.
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember
    If you have the OID, you can monitor them with the Custom MIB poller now.

We would also appreciate it if you sent the mib files to development@solarwinds.net so that we can add them to our MIB database so it will be built into future releases.

Denny LeCompte
    SolarWinds
  • Sent. What is the turn around time on having these added?
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember
    We try to release the updated MIB database every month.

Denny LeCompte
    SolarWinds
  • Is there a reason a feature to add our own MIBs is not implemented in Orion? Its very annoying having to email them in and then wait for an update to appear.
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember
    This is a feature we're considering, but importing MIBs is more complicated than it sounds. That complication derives from the fact that many hardware vendors to not format their MIBs very well. Consequently, if we just import such a MIB in a straightforward fashion, that MIB is not usable. Typically, we have to do a fair bit of manual massaging and sometimes research to get the MIBs to actually work in Orion.

Denny LeCompte
    SolarWinds
  • Are you saying that if I have a OID I can monitor it even if it is not in the Enterprise MIB database?  I tried doing that and when I hit 'test' it says the OID isn't supported.

Jon

New user, running demo version.

• Jon-

If you can browse to the MIB in the Custom MIB browser within Orion, then the MIB is already in our database.

If a message like “OID Not Supported” or “No such name”, comes up it doesn’t mean that we don’t have that MIB in our database, it means that we successfully queried the device and that the device doesn’t support the MIB that you’re querying against. Here are some steps to assist you in creating custom MIB pollers.