This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to Disable temp/power sensors on Network Devices

Hello Everyone

I was wondering if anyone knew how I can disable Temp/Power Sensors on Network Devices in Orion, without Disabling the whole device.  This is becoming a pain because I constantly getting emails about these alerts.  If anyone can point or suggest me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

The Other, Te5/1 Receive Power Sensor on TO2-4510-2 has a current status of Warning

The Temperature, Switch 1 - Temp Sensor 1 on fr1-3850-C01 has a current status of Warning.

These are the alerts that I'm receiving in emails about these devices

Thank you in advance

• Hi lavann_williams@ultimatesoftware.com

If you're already on NPM 11.5.x, you can disable specific hardware health by doing the following steps:

1. Go to Manage Hardware Sensors view (Settings > Node & Group Management > Manage Hardware Sensors).

2. Find the sensor(s) you want to manage. You can either use the Group by pane, or use the Search box.

Tip: To find all sensors available on a node, select Node in the Group by list, and then select the appropriate node.

3. Select the sensor(s) which you want to enable and click Disable.

Steps found here:

SolarWinds NPM Online Help

• Hey Janene16

Thanks for the reply but for some reason I do not see the Manage Hardware Sensors as an option in the Node & Group Management.  Am I doing something wrong, again thank you for your help.

Getting Started with Orion

Discover your network and add the objects you want to monitor in Orion.

Node & Group Management

Manage and delete nodes, dependencies and groups. Edit node properties.

User Accounts

Add, edit user accounts and reset password. Select menu bar and view preferences for each user.

• scroll down at the bottom and  tell me what's your current NPM version.

• Hey Janene16

Here is the current version

Orion Platform 2014.2.1, SAM 6.1.0, QoE 1.0, IPAM 4.1, NPM 11.0.1, NTA 4.0.3, WPM 2.1.0, IVIM 1.10.0, VNQM 4.1 Copyright 1995-2014 SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

• Ahh that's the reason why you don't see the Manage Hardware Sensors.

This only applies to NPM starting version 11.5.0 and up.

You will need to open a ticket with Support to have this updated, or use Product Upgrade Advisor:

Product Upgrade Advisor | SolarWinds Customer Portal

• But there's 2 problems if we actually want the alert:

1. The alerts do not show the device name - they show Switch X, where X is the switch member of the stack. The alert should show both the device name and the switch member number.

2. Often, the values reported are incorrect. Either the wrong OID is polled by NPM, or the switch firmware needs to be upgraded.

The alert is firing because of item 2.

Related posts:

Re: Hardware Health Misreporting Temps on Cisco 3850

Re: Hardware Health Temp Sensor Status 'Warning' for Cisco C3650

Re: Cisco 3850 reporting incorrect temperatures Thwack user @maholmes documents a hack to use a different OID - but the next upgrade of NCM will erase the hack. Also notes that IOS-XE 3.6 upgrade does not always seem to fix it. Cisco has been trying to fix this on multiple platforms for years.

Thwack user @syncopix then advises: "Under Admin > Thresholds & Polling > Orion Polling Settings is now a Hardware Health section with a Preferred Cisco MIB setting." He recommends using CISCO-ENVMON-MIB instead of CISCO-ENTITY-SENSOR-MIB.